• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Net Neutrality: President Obama's Plan for a Free and Open Internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know what a LAN party is (like, UT 99 days?) If so, then you understand the internet quite well.

At the party, you need all the computers attached to cables, which connect to a switch, which is managed by a router.

The internet service providers laid out and buried the copper or fiber lines (cables), and connect them to trunks (switches), which are managed by... uh, I don't know what they call them :p, but they do the routing. They're just bigger than normal routers.

I think this is along the lines of what you are thinking:

bIRAf1E.jpg

:)

So, does this have any bearing on what AT&T wireless was up to by selling unlimited data plans and then throttling back the bandwidth after 2 months?

I'm generally against government regulations, but the crap that Comcast (and I'm sure others are guilty as well) pulled is wrong. They do need to be regulated.

OH and I should have to watch your **** commercial to watch a video posted by another unpaid user!

So, does this have any bearing on what AT&T wireless was up to by selling unlimited data plans and then throttling back the bandwidth after 2 months?
No, that's just AT&T being jerks. They were forced to grandfather unlimited data plans so they're finding a way to force those with unlimited plans into getting the un-throttled but limited bandwidth plans. They don't throttle users from going to certain sites, they throttle them entirely, whatever thing they're trying to view.

Don't forget that Comcast is not the first to do this. Verizon for example, forced Netflix to pay them and after they won that... Well, other companies saw it as an open invitation to greed, which is why I'm sure we saw Comcast jump on the train.

Don't forget that Comcast is not the first to do this. Verizon for example, forced Netflix to pay them and after they won that... Well, other companies saw it as an open invitation to greed, which is why I'm sure we saw Comcast jump on the train.

It's also why they are fighting so hard to get control of the network. The FCC is practically all former lobbyist or employees of the various cable companies and telecoms. Had the FCC still been headed by actual engineers and other experts of the fields governed by them (as it used to be), this would have been a non-issue and would have been upheld long ago, just like the pending Comcast/TWC merger would have never been allowed to happen, or the charging for and encrypting free OTA TV to force customers to pay more, amongst other changes the FCC has made that favored the cable/telecoms.

The only reason it's dragging on, is that the people are still fighting vehemently against the demise of net-neutrality and getting the correct information out so that others learn about it. Had it not been for so many other companies joining the ranks against the cable companies and telecoms, the net would have already been in their control, since it would never have made it to main stream media. Don't forget, these same cable companies and telecoms pretty much own most of the media, hence why it doesn't get reported much (if at all), and never in a negative light against cable/telecoms, always positive and that somehow it would be a good thing for all if net neutrality went away.

^ Just wow... How on earth would internet based regulations play a role in their fiber rollout.... I mean honestly.... That just makes it seem like they were wanting to charge for fast lanes on their fiber lines or something equally as nefarious.

Ahh 'Murica.

Nothing like Monopolies and corporations concerned with their own wallets.

Bill Clinton gave millions to the same companies back when he was in office, for the sole purpose of upgrading and expanding their networks so that the USofA would have high speed internet everywhere and compete with other nations whom already had better and faster networks.

Wanna guess what all those companies did with said tax payer money?

Bill Clinton gave millions to the same companies back when he was in office, for the sole purpose of upgrading and expanding their networks so that the USofA would have high speed internet everywhere and compete with other nations whom already had better and faster networks.

Wanna guess what all those companies did with said tax payer money?

Upgraded said internet for everyone in America? :rolleyes:

I sincerely hope other ISP's don't follow AT&T and do what they just did.

Upgraded said internet for everyone in America? :rolleyes:

I sincerely hope other ISP's don't follow AT&T and do what they just did.

I say let the greedy mofo's do the same! Gives Google more incentive to swoop in and install faster fiber for cheaper.

I say let the greedy mofo's do the same! Gives Google more incentive to swoop in and install faster fiber for cheaper.

I wish Google would install fiber by my place -_-
Back on topic now since the mods are watching :chair:

I have a phone line in both houses that I pay for.

I have a file server at the other house.
I find 99% of the interwebs worthless (fb, tweeter).
why can't I just dial into that server from this house without somebody ( the isp) in between?

You know those phone lines you're paying for? They don't go straight from one house to the other. They go through that trunk thing I mentioned, and have to be routed.
If you want to run your own wires between the two houses, (after buying the land involved :D), you could absolutely use the network between both places.

Last edited:
i see arbiter, i guess i just HAVE to pay for something.
hmmmm, but why do faxes go through? or am i talking about apples and oranges?

Well now it will be interesting to see how vehemently the new congress and maybe the Supreme Court will oppose true net neutrality.

AT&T stating that they are suspending their fiber net is more of a threat to stop net neutrality from happening. It's in their best interest to keep laying down more fiber even if net neutrality happens. They'll still get profits, just not as much as they wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back