• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to Change cluster size?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tainice

k, i am running a raid 0 setup with an epox raid card, the card driver does not support xp, so i am forced to run 2k again. Anyway, in bios, there is not option for me to change cluster size, so how can i change it?

I think you mean STRIPE SIZE since you can not change a file systems cluster size in the BIOS;) When you created the Array were you not prompted to choose a STRIPE SIZE?

If you really mean cluster size the W2000 installation CD will prompt you to choose one during install just dont make the mistake of using FAT32 then converting to NTFS or the convert utility in W2000 will always pick 512bytes as your cluster size no matter what you choose.

Sonny said:
I think you mean STRIPE SIZE since you can not change a file systems cluster size in the BIOS;) When you created the Array were you not prompted to choose a STRIPE SIZE?

If you really mean cluster size the W2000 installation CD will prompt you to choose one during install just dont make the mistake of using FAT32 then converting to NTFS or the convert utility in W2000 will always pick 512bytes as your cluster size no matter what you choose.

that'z exactly what i mean..sorry for not being clear about the problem. Anyway, during installation of 2k, i did not see such an option to choose the strip size.... :rolleyes: anyway, i am running fat32 now, cuz i have magic7, and i can change my cluster size via the software....(it only works with fat32:eek: ).

You should see the menu for choosing STRIPE SIZE in the RAID BIOS, not MoBo BIOS.

You should see a prompt for CLUSTER SIZE during the INSTALLATION of Windows 2000.

:bang head

like what i said before, CANNOT change my cluster size in raid bios...need to get a better card i guess.

Go to Administative Tools. Computer Management. Right click on a drive you want to format/change cluster size [not the OS drive!] Click on Format.
Select a Volume Label
Select a File System
Select an Allocation Size [16k to 8192]

And there you have it.

Back