• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DSL or CABLE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As long as you don't live in a city filled with college students living off campus I'd go for cable. (my own opinion) lol

Well, i cant get dsl where i live (im just out of the area:(.......damn phone company :mad: )But the cable is pretty fast here also, and for a reasonable price, so for me, its either dial-suck of cable......u make the choice :)

Last edited:
My cable is a hell of a lot better than the DSL I had. My cable is 2m down / 350k up and costs cheaper than the 512k down /128k up (if I remember those correctly). This is Roadrunner Cable in Erie Pa.

I'd check prices and see if anyone you know has either service so you could check it out & get your own opinion

Royal said:

that's cool. I'm still saving up for my quad oc2100. It'll cost only about 1 billion + a month.

Forget that. A quad OC 2100 does not exist.

In that case you can go with an OC-192 with Qwest Communications or MCI or Level 3. I used to work at Qwest, damn layoffs, about 9000 of them.

DWDM or Dense Wave Division Mutliplexing would be better since you can mux together multiple OC-192's (roughly 10GB/sec) onto a single strand of fiber thus making now in excess of 1.7TB/sec or more. Lucent has something faster now...and 10GB ethernet is on it's way, with Intel, Cisco and Nortel. Forget gigabit ethernet with Cat 6!!

The muxing of light is done by DWDM tray which consists of internal prisims, oscillators and of course hook ups from OC-192 Systems. Wavelength spacing and muxing is done here then it goes out to the FDP. The rest is too much to explain here and I am sure there are many engineers in this forum who can provide links. I wish I had a hook up or an FDP similar to an MPOE in my garage. It would be neato, for Lan Parties vs. Remote Lan Parties.

Ciena, Fijitsu and Nortel and now Cisco with the bought out Cerent 15454 now Cisco ONS 15454 OC-48 has a DWDM card, but you can get these for around 10k. Imagine RMA'ing these in a company if they went bad, and somebody lost these!

I am sure 25k to 50k is the going rate per month of service for an OC-192 or DWDM system.
:beer:

Last edited:
It all depends on you want you want. I use to be on Cable until that damn cable company screwed me over with cost and lies. Then i went to a DSL company where a pay about $15 less for the same speed and no upload limits. I would recommend that you look at your local DSL providers and see what they have to offer.

Back