• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Might switch to ADSL, help me decide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goo Kenson

Anyone here have an ADSL connection? How is it? Stable, good speed?

The two packages I'm debating over from a local ISP are:

Standard Package Downstream 384Kbps-768Kbps, Upstream 128Kbps 1 Dynamic IP $49.95

Deluxe Package Downstream 768Kbps - 1.5Mbps, Upstream 256Kbps 1 Dynamic IP $59.95

Does the upstream speed matter enough to get the 256 kbps instead of 128? Is the Standard enough for heavy gaming, heavy kazaa using, web surfing, etc. or will the Deluxe work much better for me?

My current cable is about $47 a month, the prices keep going up, and there are getting to be more and more days where the internet slows so much that I can't even really access the internet.

Any info is appreciated.

Stick with cable if your going for speed.
Dsl is not particularly fast or reliable.
I have both because one is not reliable enough, but if I had to choose the cable would win.

This will be different from setup to setup but that's how it has worked out for me.

My cable sucks. I mean, it's great on good days, but some days, like yesterday for instance, I can't even get on the internet at all. Everything just times out. That happens maybe 3-5 days in a month, which sucks big time.

Also, almost every night around 9 or 10 PM, it gets really slow from other people in the neighborhood getting on. Cable here has becoem really crowded, lots of people using it.

The DSL provider is SBC Ameritech, and they seem pretty reliable.

64026402 said:
Stick with cable if your going for speed.
I have both because one is not reliable enough, but if I had to choose the cable would win.

This will be different from setup to setup but that's how it has worked out for me.

thats correct, its different for everyone in different areas so why tell him to stick with cable? to me it sounds like its unbearably slow at times, and that would mean that his cable provider is being saturated by users at peak access times...

i'd definately give DSL a try, but only if you can find some people who have experienced it or currently use it, find out if it works good, little downtime, getting advertised speeds, ok customer service from the ISP, etc etc...

from the looks of it, it all depends on just how bad your cable is exactly.. do some real checks with www.dslreports.com or www.bandwidthplace.com, and if you consistently get lower d/l speeds than 768, i'd say give the higher DSL package a try, but thats just me... plus it looks as though its only 10 additional dollars per month...

Bandwithplace says 1.5 mbps communications. Downloading things, I rarely get more than 200 kbps.

Mr. Chambers said:

thats correct, its different for everyone in different areas so why tell him to stick with cable? to me it sounds like its unbearably slow at times, and that would mean that his cable provider is being saturated by users at peak access times...

I just didn't want him to spend the extra money then regret it while waiting for his one year contract to run out.
My dsl has worked OK but it is never as fast as cable even when the cable gets slower.
At this time my dsl is down. It does this periodically for a day or 2.
Just be forwarned that although the grass may look greener you could be dissapointed in the results.
If you have the funds you might try both for a few months.
If the DSL doesn't please you, then ask out of the contract.

I am trying to be helpfull. I to have tried to get away from cable twice before. Lukily most of the speed problems were fixed with system upgrades in the area. Anyway I figure when the cable goes down my dsl will work and vice versa.

64026402 said:

What kind of crap DSL do you have? DSL is consitantly faster than cable on a speed for speed comparison. I don't have speed fluxuations like cable. And reliable? I have been on for a year and I have had one outtage.

Ok Kingslayer, who is your provider? What advertised speed is your connection, and how much are you paying?

I would have to say ADSL.I have dsl and cable.I have dsl for myself and the rest of the family is on the cable.The pings in games are about the same.Though When I connect to a NS server in Iceland I get a better ping then those on my cable.
Now for downloading I had that over priced download thing at fileplanet for awhile.When my cable would get around 30 to 80 KBs fromt their server my DSL would get around 130 to 150.I would go with the $60 a month plan but when you sign up ask if you can cancel if the service is complete crap.Not all but some isps will do this.

Kingslayer said:

What kind of crap DSL do you have? DSL is consitantly faster than cable on a speed for speed comparison. I don't have speed fluxuations like cable. And reliable? I have been on for a year and I have had one outtage.

My cable is consistant at 3mbs. They don't offer anything close in dsl in my area. How about your area.

How many KBs does that translate to?
64026402 said:

My cable is consistant at 3mbs. They don't offer anything close in dsl in my area. How about your area.

My cable used to be able to do that.But now it can only do around 100 to 120KBs.

DragonEngineer said:
My cable used to be able to do that.But now it can only do around 100 to 120KBs.

The thing I like about DSL is my phone line doesn't stay broken very long but if a storm knocks a cable line down it can take a week or to to get them out.
As Dsl improves and gets more subscribers I figure it will get better and overtake cable.
Until then it takes both to keep me going all the time.

One time not too long ago the damn company here had the cable down for 2 freaking weeks. I was net-less for 2 weeks! It was like withdrawal.

This company keeps ****ing me off more and more.

Last year between june and july I almost had a month of down time with my cable.

My provider sucks, it's official. My friends in the area experience the same problems, and I talked to people from other states with the same ISP who say it sucks as well.

Back