• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fridge Setup Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

josh7485

Alright I plan on using a minifridge setup for my water kooling system, but if I was to buy all the parts and put it together now it probaly wouldnt work that well because right now all I would do is stick a plastic tube in there, and have the water go in and out of the mini fridge, But I KNOW its much more complicated than just doing that so I tried searching through threads for info. I read stuff about compressors and guages and Im getting really confused so I would appreciate it if one of you could help me out explaining it to me. Thx for the help

I am in the process of doing the same thing. There is an article on the front page in the wc section entitled 'extreme water cooling using refrigeration" that tells you the basics of setting up a fridge for cooling.

minifridge post #5,482

Don't even try it with a piece of **** minifridge, if your going to do it at least use something good.Like a freezer/refrigerator.Putting a tub of water/antifreeze in it will not work, you have to drop the evaporator in the res.

You can put the evaperator in the res without dissasembling it or anything (At least with my fridge). The evap dips down in a u shape from the top. Im planning to make a res that encloses it so its only chillin the water. True, minifridges arent going to chill like direct phase change, but they arent totally useless.

No, I am not talking about direct die systems.I am talking about waterchillers.Alot of minifridges wont cool for ****.New ones won't, if it is an older minifridge then it should do pretty good.
But the new R134a minifridges that have those puny 1/20hp compressors, well don't count on it.

i am also working on a minifridge water chiller... in the little dip down u section of condenser i have a copper coil inside. that will be frosted over beleive me i had my minifridge down to somewhere around -15 or -2 c i forget... but it was a nice low temp but the reason why i am not goin to submerge the evaporator is because i want to be able to keep drinks in there also...

Was your liquid at -15c/-2c with a load from your cpu?Or just the inside of the freezer with no load?If it was the liquid, then your one of the few that either got an older minifridge, or just a good one...

Alright Im not even sure what a supressor is, but if you just bought a good supressor alone couldnt you just stick it in a reasvor without the fridge at all and is there a way to replace new fridge suppressors with more powerful ones?

What the hell do you mean by supressor?Are you thinking of a compressor? :confused:
You need to learn your **** before even thinking about trying this.

the bigger the compressor the more **** it throughs into the evap therefore you can cool it more however we dont need more thin 1/4 hp compressor with such a small heat load. As for gauges you need a 1-200 psi gauge on the high side and a vacuum and a 1-200psi gauge on the low side. Well I wouldnt say NEED but it would be nice to have. you can get some nice gauges here .

Warlord2 said:
the bigger the compressor the more **** it throughs into the evap therefore you can cool it more however we dont need more thin 1/4 hp compressor with such a small heat load. As for gauges you need a 1-200 psi gauge on the high side and a vacuum and a 1-200psi gauge on the low side. Well I wouldnt say NEED but it would be nice to have. you can get some nice gauges here .

Who says you don't need more than a 1/4hp?We also don't need more than a stock heatsink I guess... :)

yes more than 1/4 isnt nessicary but as you increase your compressor the more of a vaccume or lower C/W caused by faster refridgerant cycling will ocure. most new mini fridges cant cut it if you can find something with a "decent" compressor like 1/12 you will see prety "decent" temps you of course arent going to be sub zero but you can get it prety low.

Back