• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Transfer contents of main drive to another

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Octoman

I am gonna buy a an OEM 30 gig maxtor drive and set it up with a Win98SE boot disk. I currently have a 12 gig Maxtor and use it as my surfing machine. What I would like to know is how to transfer the contents of my 12gig to my new 30 gig and just be able to boot off and use it normally. Is there a DOS command to copy the contents and everything to do what I want? Thanks.

Octoman said:
I am gonna buy a an OEM 30 gig maxtor drive and set it up with a Win98SE boot disk. I currently have a 12 gig Maxtor and use it as my surfing machine. What I would like to know is how to transfer the contents of my 12gig to my new 30 gig and just be able to boot off and use it normally. Is there a DOS command to copy the contents and everything to do what I want? Thanks.
I believe what your saying you want to do is make a exact copy of yer 12 gig HDD to your new 30 gig HDD.. For this you should use a program like norton ghost it will make a image of your old HDD .. ...

what i really want to do is just transfer the old stuff to the new drive and just use the new drive with the old stuff on it like I never did anything to the computer at all.

Octoman said:
what i really want to do is just transfer the old stuff to the new drive and just use the new drive with the old stuff on it like I never did anything to the computer at all.
Right, so you don't want to reinstall your OS or any data correct ?? Norton Ghost will do this ...

Yeah I got the software from maxtor and created a floppy, however I am still having trouble copying the drive contents over. For the record I am copying a single partition from the 12 gig to the new 30 gig. here is the error i get while using the disk copy feature of the Maxtor software.

" Error
Reading Drive 80 I/O Timeout:
Sector = 48251595, Result = 4 "

The 12gig is on ide1 master and the 30 gig is on ide2 as a master. I have tried setting them up in opposite positions with the same result. Any ideas anyone???

Hi, several questions:

1) So it does it copy any of it, or none of it?

2) If just some of it, does it fail at the same point every time?

3) Have you double-checked the jumper settings on both drives?

4) Are you overclocked?

If you are overclocked, you should go back to stock speeds for this drive transfer. Also, if you are getting partial success each time, you should run a full scandisk of the drive. Actually, if the maxtor software has any drive diagnostics utilities for a surface scan, you should do that. I suspect a bad sector on the 12gig drive.

Good luck! -- Paul

Back