• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lycoris is great for newbs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
well im a linux newby.ive always hatted command prompts.mabey thats why i hated dos so much.

anyhow i finally put lycoris on my main rig.lost windoze also ,but ill reinstall for gameing.NO command promts at all on lycoris.well im sure its there if u wish to use it.

i even got it online wich i never could with mandrake.
anyhow i hope it works out enough so i can drop 98se all together. i have worlds to learn so this will keep me busy also.

how is overclocking on linux anyhow? never tried. heck i need to reset my bios since i put to default on install.

im lost on setting my network up also.least its online i can prolly make it tho.will this even interfave with a 98se networked machine or does it need linux also?

ty for the info.
as for sharing its my home network i guess. 2 pc's on a router thats doing my cable modem.
ill check the link also.TY

command line is fun, it makes you feel more manly :)..jk....i could never get Lycoris to install :(

personally, i do everything on the command line... i can't live in linux without it. My one setup is Redhat 73 + WindowMaker.

I have found a new likeing for Gentoo linux :)... you start with nothing, and build the kernel and system from source so that it is created exclusively for your system, and will run optimally. It's alot of command prompt work though..

Great source of info for newbies:
http://www.tldp.org/
the linux documentation project... lots of walkthroughs.. the only problem i've found is that there's alot of cut&paste some times..

man id rather be billg's pool boy than use command promts.hehee

just i hate em that much and have no intrests in learning it.mabey is why i gave up hacking,i was very limited in what i could do becouse of that.

but like i said this lycoris is made for people like me.very stable so far,and somewhat easy to use compared to other linux kernals.

very windows like.just sux isnt much software to use as like windoze.

Most windows programs do have a linux alternative, with the exception of games (even a few games have linux versions, although usually the quality is far inferior to that of the 'real' windows ones). What kind of programs are you looking for?

mbm5 or any thing that will moniter my temps.
sisioft sandra but im almost sure doesnt do linux.
need a decent web browser.using phoenix mozilla it isnt to bad.

ive got it set to dual boot so isnt to bad.i think im gonna work my network stuff out. samba the wayto go?
its on here now just need to sit and figure it out.
if i can do it ill dual boot my backup.i fold so i need network access.

my kids use em also and linux isnt to 6 year old freindly.

For temp monitoring, use lm_sensors:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/lm_sensors/?topic_id=862,146
and gkrellm:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/gkrellm/?topic_id=862,152
Note that to install and configure lm_sensors, you will have to use the command line. Personally I've never gotten it to work, I don't know if its because my mobo isn't supported or if I misconfigured it.

AFAIK, there is no one single benchmark suite in linux like sandra. But you can check this out:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140138

There are many web browser for linux, netscape, mozilla, even text based ones like links or lynx. My personal preference is galeon.

You don't need samba to access the network. Linux should be able to set up your internet using DHCP (assuming your router provides it, most do). If you want to share files or printers with windows machines, then you need samba.

kool guys thats a big help.these are exactly what i needed.
well i belive its stable build 63.not beta. but might be as i do use beta stuff sometimes.

its nice i really like it tho.

Back