• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this normal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

effekt

Registered
ok guys i setlled my connections for fans, i connected 2 on the 12 volt, 4 pin plugs comming outta the mobo, and 3 on a psu power cable, now i would like to bring up the fact that at idle my cpu runs 24c and the mobo is at 26c! is this normal? i never knew the processor could run cooler than the mobo, i ahve a P4s8x, but under full load processor hits 34c which im not worried about and the mobo hits 27 or 28c, but the idle temps are normal? and is there any fan i could attach to the mobo?

What CPU / Motherboard? I am more under the impression that you have the two temperatures reversed. BTW, I have none of my fans on the motherboard.

I've seen this happen before. When it happened to me it was because the in socket thermistor was not accurate. I never trust those to within +/- 10C.

so ur saying i actually hit 45 degrees? damn that sux, i thot i was all good in the 35's... i have P4S8x with 2.0ghz northwood.

well, unfortunately I'm somewhat lost when it comes to intel chips. Do they have in socket thermistors, or do they read on die temps. I seem to remember that Intel chips read ondie temps (although my memory juggles lots of things around.) Although It's still possible for the on die temps to be inaccurate, too.

Back