• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volcano 7+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neo_peter

how good is this compared to the stock P4 HSF? anyone know how many degrees C I can expect to take off my current 53C load? and i also heard that the volcano 7 needs some sanding, cause the bolts at the bottom were sticking out or something. can anyone give me a heads up on this? Thanks

What are your case temps?

No one can give you an accurate difference that you're going to get however, it should give you a significant one. Joe C who does the articles on the frontpage for hardware did one on the Volcano 7+ and it did fairly good. http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/ According to that, it rates fairly well in the 0.3 C/W area whereas the stock HSF is in the 0.5 area (Horrible). Here's the exact review?

Keep in mind that other things are also important such as case temps and thermal paste.

Yodums

I had it on for a bit. The adjustable fan speed was convenient, but the fact that at full speed, I was only getting about 49cfm bothered me. If I had to hear 48dba or so, I'd want more air flowing than 49cfm.

My temps weren't too bad though. I prefer my current setup though.

my case temp is aruond 32C, at load it says it's around 53, but it's not even warm to the touch of the heatsink so it's hard to believe actually... i would buy an AX-478, but i can only find one place in Toronto that sells em and newegg doens't ship past the border... the AX-478 and volcano are a difference of $10 CAD, but the AX-478 doesn't come with a fan or variable fan switch, so tack on an extra $15-20 CAD for a fan and the price difference starts to be significant and currently I have no problems with my system so that's why I haven't done another about the stock HSF yet... and I use arctic silver 3 all the time so no prob with that.

It's a good HSF, I used one on my old 1800+ and now on a 1.4GHz T-bird. It's prone to crushing cores though, but I don't think you'd have that problem with the P4's heat spreader.

From where I buy them, all swifttechs are $99 CAD before 15% tax and the volcano is $44 + 15% tax and - 3% special offer... so i think the volcano is a better bang for the buck in this situation...

I use a Volcano7+ with the hardware and temps in my sig. Its kinda loud at full speed, but still better(IMHO) than the sound that came from the 60mm Delta that I was using before. It may not be the best out there, but if you can get it cheap enough, its a great buy. I got mine off E-Bay from some guy who used it for about a day until his wife made him sell it because of the noise.:D Arrived in new condition and still in retail packaging for$23 w/shipping. And from what I have heard, most stores in US dont ship cheaply to Canada, so this may be a option for you.

I can get the volcane for cheap, and ya big foot computers sells the swiftechs at like 99 bucks and volcano i can get at Canada Computers for 44 bucks and i know people there so i can get a better deal also.

Back