• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Surfboard Cable Woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RuthlessChicken

Registered
I am running a 900 Mhz Athlon
128 MB of no name Ram
and Comcast is my broadband provider.

OK now to the good stuff! I got cable last fall, I recieved a Surfboard SB4100 modem with it. Every once in a while, I would lose connection while switching a page or refreshing. I thought, "OK, I heard that cable internet service is a bit buggy and to lose service for a day is the price I have to pay." Well this summer two of my friends got Comcast @Home as well, and they haven't had this happen to them the entire time! I think I have a defective modem, I'm pretty sure it isn't Comcast. Has anyone else had this happen with their Surfboard modem?
TIA,
Ruthless Chicken

It may be somthing else, I have experienced this with multiple modems, ehternet and usb. Funny thing is, it only happens on some of my computers, while the others hold a connection forever.
Right now its a 4200 on a 440bx board using USB, no problems. If is switch to my dual sys using the same USB, it looses connection about every 10 min.

Using USB for modems is a bad idea. Random disconnects are the norm. But if your using Ethernet and having this problem, it could be anything. Both that particular modem, and Comcast, both suck. If other people in your area aren't having the problem, then it's probably your modem. I agree with taking it back to Comcast and getting a new one. They usually don't argue with you, just take it to your local office and tell them you'd like a new one, they should just hand you one without arguement.

The USB was just an example, actually using USB has been the best solution for the disconnects for me for some reason. I had the same probelm with several other computers using ethernet.

Back