• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me With My new Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tekman Zash

Registered
Okay. I'm designing a new AMD Rig. I have already got some of the parts. I have an Athlon XP 1600+ AGOIA Stepping core processor and a 40 GB 7,200 RPM Maxtor Hard Drive. Well, I am going to buy a Motherboard now and I am torn between which direction I should go in. I really want to go this way with a motherboard...
Athlon XP 1600+ AGOIA
KT400Chipset mobo w/ AGP 8X and ATA 133
256 MB DDR400 PC3200
etc...
If I was going with that one I would use the Gigabyte GA-7VAX. I guess what I want to know is if this is a good motherboard. My friends are wanting me to go with an Epox that has the KT333 Chipset and supports DDR333 Max. I am drawn between what to do......

I would get an Nforce 2 mobo.
I love my kt400 board- but the constant agp/pci thing on the nforce2 is very cool.
kt333 is probably a better deal unless you are just dying for 8x AGP and SATA

There is no official support for DDR400 whatsoever,

Epox is considered a hardcore overclocker's board.

Difference between KT333 and KT400 is minimal, basically KT400 adds AGP 8X and serial ATA, these features are unnecessary IMHO

Newegg refurbished section usually has very good deals if you don't mind messing around

I've owned an 8K3A+ and I loved it for it's voltage options. However, I've since upgraded to an Asus A7N8X (nForce2 chipset) and I haven't regretted it. It's fast, reliable and packed with features. I believe the nForce2 chipset to be every bit as good as the KT333 but with the features of a KT400. If you get a board, get an nForce2 based one. It doesn't have to be the A7N8X but get any one at all.

~THT

Back