• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB or PCMCIA adapter for Ethernet???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petreza

Hi,

I am trying to add ethernet (10/100) to a laptop. There are two options - an USB-Ethernet or PCMCIA-Ethernet adapters. I went to a couple of stores today and they have both. The PCMCIA is a little bit more expensive but not much.

Which one would you recomend? (and why?)

Thank you!

The USB has its advantages, but also its disadvantages. The USB is external, bulky, and to my experience, USB networking devices aren't always as stable and reliable as regular internal devices. However, it can also be used on any other computer with ease.

The PCMCIA is small and internal so no need to remove it. But, it is only usable in a laptop (unless you get a PCI PCMCIA adapter for a desktop)

-ben

I would recommend a card like a Realtec Realport card. It takes up 2 pcmcia spaces, but has a standard RJ45 jack, so no dongle to break (Oh ive broken dongles:( ).

I personally use a USB nic on my gaming rig because I don't have any free pci slots (Don't ask!), they are fairly reliable, but some programs tend to make it disconnect regularily (Like gamespy).

Back