• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

C1's should be all you get soon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hawk

I was wondering where all the C1's are so I ask some questions in staff meeting today. It seems that the resellers are clearing out their stock of older processors. The Fab I work at is the #1 producer of top bin processors. C1 is the LOWEST stepping being produced there. Our "Boutique" products are E step. So.... the queue should clear of older steppings soon. I hope the new steppings show a big a gain in overclocking as the C1.
:burn:

wow, great news, so you are saying there will be better steppings than C1? I thought C1 is the last northy...

toastedzergling said:
wow, great news, so you are saying there will be better steppings than C1? I thought C1 is the last northy...
No a processor continues to be "stepped" as the process is improved. What gave you that idea?

I just got a 2.0 i ordered from googlegear. Had a dam pack date of feb 2002, Musta fell behind a shelf, they found it and sent it to me. *******s. Thing wont clock over 2.3ghz, no matter how many volts or freezing it.

So when will these E stepping chips show up in PCN documents and retail channels? And there will be no D stepping?

Hi Hawk!

>The Fab I work at is the #1 producer of top bin processors.
C1 is the LOWEST stepping being produced there.<

And what is the slowest cpu which is produced at your fab?
I mean if your Fab only makes P4's > 2.4GHZ then it is nothing special that they are all made in C-1 stepping, because most of them only exist as C-1 parts anyway.
So I ask you: Does your fab make low-speed P4's (<=2.26GHZ) with C-1 stepping?

Thanx in advance, XBTC!

FIZZ3 said:
So when will these E stepping chips show up in PCN documents and retail channels?
Good question!

The B0 to C1 change was posted in the PCN index back on September 5th. If E-step is in mass-production then why isn't there something about it in the PCN index? I don't doubt what you're saying Hawk but why haven't Intel informed us of the design change?

I hope this E-step will do something to lower the power dissipation of the P4 core. The power dissipation of the 3.06 is getting pretty toasty and next year's 3.2GHz version may need some help in keeping temperatures down.

Any more E-step info for us Hawk? What do you mean by 'boutique' products?

TIA.:)

Bear in mind Hawk has signed an NDA and could lose his job for letting us know "too" much :D
When's ur next ES due hawk? 800FSB??
BTW whats a politial party, ive never been to that sort of party b4!!:rolleyes: ;)

I just got a boxed 1.8A Northwood. Packdate 11/11/02, SL68Q - still bloody B0 stepping. It was only packed by Intel about 3 weeks ago and it's still B0!?! How many of the damn things have Intel still got left then?

Waaaaaah, I wanna C1.:(

When will the E stepping be available on reseller market (and to OEMs)? Will there be low speed E stepping, such as 1.8s, and will they have 100FSB flavours (Northwood-As)?

Your problems are you keep ordering retail boxes. CHeck out OEM chips. You do not have a 3 year warranty though but the place you buy it through should giv eyou at least 30 days to a year. My OEM PIII 1.4 has a 1 year warranty. I also hit some high numbers on air easily. Once again it is OEM.

OEM chips are going to get used up faster than retails right?

Makes sence that OEM chips are C1's faster.

I reckon there will be no new 400FSB P4's produced, the existing 2.50/400 and 2/60/400 C1 steps are to be phased out. 533 will become the new 400 and 800 will be the new 533 - if you get my drift....
Hawk can prolly answer on the E stepping stuff but I reckon its maybe the stepping after the new 3.2ghz/800??
32800.jpg

800.jpg

Good ol' capitalism. A lot of people (there are still a lot of people) still use 400FSB P4 systems. Sucks for us :/. Hawk - When will you be getting an E chip? Please tell us how it performs.

I get 1 per year and i've only had this one 2 or 3 months. Who knows my next chip may be a prescott. ;)

ol' man said:
Your problems are you keep ordering retail boxes. CHeck out OEM chips. You do not have a 3 year warranty though but the place you buy it through should giv eyou at least 30 days to a year. My OEM PIII 1.4 has a 1 year warranty. I also hit some high numbers on air easily. Once again it is OEM.

OEM chips are going to get used up faster than retails right?

Makes sence that OEM chips are C1's faster.

some local shops will also let you pick from their trays. My local shop gives a 1 year warranty on everything.

I'm in Japan and I check out 12 or so stores every weekend and I've given up looking for C1s. I think one store had the 2.40b C1 last weekend so I am getting that. But I see a lot of late Oct. pack date 2.0s and 2.53s and they are not C1 yet. Most the 1.8s I've seen (if I can find them at all) were several months old. Maybe the C1s will show up on the Nov. pack dates.

Hawk: Are you not allowed to answer my question due to NDA's or why didn't you answer it?

Back