• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

You Got To Look, Great Idea.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DodgeViper

Had to post this in its on thread because this is just what the doc ordered.

Guys, this is an awesome idea. I trashed my system just to see if it would fit. I am ordering a new Cheiftec aluminum case and going to start completely over. My current heater core with fans fit perfect. The fan that you see the front I will build a front seal that seals to the side of the case. Damm, I wish I had thought of this idea. This is great. Air moving from side to side without introducing any heated air to the case. I will place an additional 120mm side case fan to supply air to the case with the rear two 80mm fans pulling air from the case.

P0001416.jpg

P0001417.jpg

P0001418.jpg

hey that is awesome. Enclosing it without introducing the hot air to your case. Great idea. I have the same case so now i am not sure how much longer my rad will be sitting on top of my case.

Not a bad idea at that, but what about the tubing? Eevn tho its a grea idea not to blow the hot air from the rad, but set up like that won't have much for the lines. Meaning you'll have a serious bend or a kink in the lines.

The side panel will seal the 2 fans, but look at the barbs and how the lines will bend. Just a thought.

thought of that once or twice, but never did it because i dint like the fan placment, and i think i got the idea from joe at procooling from one of his mini rigs........

ALso which heater core exactly is that and did you make or buy those shrouds. Trying to get the width right. I got a 86 chevette core from autozone and was wondering if its the same.

so wait~ your using a case like mine now instead of the full tower? With The aluminum they use, be sure to oil your holesay or whatever you use for cutting!!! AND most have windows, is your not?

briman1000 said:
ALso which heater core exactly is that and did you make or buy those shrouds. Trying to get the width right. I got a 86 chevette core from autozone and was wondering if its the same.
thats a 86 chevette core with custom shrounds made by him, nice job wont you say?

my next question was gonna be about the barbs and whether or not you would have to use right angle mounts or will the tubing fit. It looks kind of tight. Id rather not tear my entire setup apart to find out but I guess thats half the fun.

if i remember correctly dodge has a 3 barb Heatercore now and simply attching 90c fittings is not that hard to re-direct the tubing

I thought of this, but it wouldn't work in the case I'm currently working on. Was goint to have the left side have a window w/ fan guard so you could se it all well.

Theres some heatercores with the in/out tubes comming out sideways, instead of out the front like that. I figured these would be easier to work with in this configuration.

-edit omg, spelling errors :p

First , yes i made the shrouds. Here is an article you can read. CLICK

Yes that is a Chevy Chevette core. As Spyder mention I have a new three barb I have built. What I am going to do now is remove the barbs and place them at a 45 degree angle coming out of the core. The barbs will be straight barbs just at an angle.

Here is a photo of my latest shrouds without any aluminum tape. These solder right to the core making a very clean setup.

Shroud.jpg

I thought of doing that before I built my setup...but with this case, and the fact I'd have to cut large holes in the case, which would defeat my project goals, I decided against it.

The large holes will be cut with perfection and using 120mm fan grilles as seen on this shroud. I really like this idea. My dual fan setup has always bothered me when it was turned 90 degrees to what you see in the photos. The exhausting air exhauted inside the case.

Shround%20Grile.jpg

I may have louvers cut in the side panels. I have a friend that has a louver machine that cuts 3.5”, 4.5”, and 5.5” louvers.

The louvers might look cool. too restrictive on airflow though? ahhhhh......they'll probably be fine, if you decide to go that route.

anyway, after adding a blowhole to the side of my case a while ago, I've since decided I don't like fans on either side of my case, just in case I have to move it somewhere up against a wall, as my case is now.

Of course taht's not a problem if you don't move your computer a lot...

what were your temps from the air coming off the radiator...cause I only had warm air coming from my radiator back when I had a peltier on my old setup.

Sorry, I did not who came up with the idea. Two of you posted basically the same thing. Thats why I said, "Damm, I wish I had thought of this idea" above, but give credit to SHODAN with his great looking CAD drawing that I saw that got my head spinning.

DodgeViper said:
Sorry, I did not who came up with the idea. Two of you posted basically the same thing. Thats why I said, "Damm, I wish I had thought of this idea" above, but give credit to SHODAN with his great looking CAD drawing that I saw that got my head spinning.

LOL, I wasn't serious, rather just giving you some good-natured ribbing. :D You didn't think I was really crying over this did you? On second thought, don't answer that. ;)

Back