• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does a Pentium III CPU have to have a heat sink and fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey if the old 486 needed a HSF i assume that a HSF is a must for almost every CPU overclocked or not. I am 100% sure that the PIII needs a HSF.

thought it would be, thanks for the input..I was going to put some on, was just wondering if I could do a setup with out them, think I will wait for them instead...

Heastink Fan

I had a p3 600 mhz w/ 100 fsb and no heatsink. SO i assume that not all p3's need a hsf. You may want to monitor the temp and determine if you need a hsf.

uhhhh. yea... it does. especially at 1ghz. you should see the size of the hsf intel includes with their 933eb.. that thing is massive.

When I first bought my PIII550 from a friend the hsf was dead, and I didn't notice it for about a month or two. Things ran just fine for me. Here at work I have a duron700 and for a long time the fan was dead on it, and things worked fine. I've ran tons of P1s and P2 without fans and everthing was fine also.

I think you might be able to get way with out using a fan, but the heat sink is a must. Just get a box fan, open up the side of your case and it'll stay supercool.

I wouldn't recommend it, but I'm sure you can have a PIII with just an AX-7 (or similar) heatsink. You'd have to have great case cooling, like ambient temp is almost equal to system temp, maybe even get a case with one of those fans already blowing onto the heatsink from the side of the case. That's if you absolutely can't have a fan on the heatsink.

Actually that may be overreacting, since like a few others said they ran their cpus without any fan for weeks and nothing happened, but I'd like to be safe ;)

i guess it depends on the colling of your case.

if u got a couple of case fans, i guess runing a passive heatsink on a low speed procesor wouldnt be a great issue.

im almost sure that a 1.1ghz celeron will do great with a HS in a well cooled case.

I guess the main problem is noice, if not, use a fan...

If you use a big heatsink... like PEP66 (socket) or P3125 (slot) then you'll only need really slowspeed fans...
And if noice is a really huge factor, clock it down, and put even more silent fans on it...

Back