• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it possible for bad power?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Genjix

Here's my situation. First my mobo died so I got another one. 2 months later I'm having problems with my 2nd mobo. Basically ive come to the conclusion that the heat sensors on the MoBo are damaged, thus always causing my computer to lock up because it thinks the processor is always at 80 degrees celsius. Anyway, could it be the PSU is feeding too much energy or something wierd like that ? Or do I just have bad luck and had 2 bad mobo's in 2 months? I think I'm gonna need to buy a 3rd mobo now =(

It could be possible that the power coming from your house is spiking, not the psu. If this is the case then you may want to invest in a UPS surge protector. I would not buy a 3rd mobo until this is sorted out.

I currently have a surge protector on it.
I dont think its a UPS, just a regular one.
So if power spikes in the house would the regular surge protector guard it properly?

Genjix said:
I currently have a surge protector on it.
I dont think its a UPS, just a regular one.
So if power spikes in the house would the regular surge protector guard it properly?
Maybe you have a crappy surge protector that can't handle the load from the spikes. What brand is it? If it is an APC (these rule) you should be fine. Oh yeah, APC makes the UPS as well. A UPS may be needed if the power spikes from your house happen to be abnormally large.

Genjix said:
would connecting a surge protector to a surge protector do any good?

Nope, that's basically like using an extension cord. Spend like 30-50 bucks on a good surge protector, those ones that are made of steel or something like the one I have, it's got a mini storage cell that holds I don't know how much charge, and two fuses. Now sure this is ok, but the goal would be to have something like what apc offers. They actually hold a charge for 30minutes or more. And those are what the people above are probably talking about.

awsome. APC sounds promising.
Anyone know where I can get the best deal for one of these puppies?

I went to pricewatch.com did a search for apc, and found pretty cheap prices...could probably get one for under 40 including shipping. Seems newegg.com has the cheapest price.

Back