• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2400+ overclocking confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SkiFletch

ok, so i've read so many posts about this topic at these and other forums and i'm still way beyond confused. my main question is of course the perenial one of multiplier unlocking. the every mythical santa will be bringing me this wonderful new toy, along with an Abit N7F-S nforce2 mobo shortly and I want to know ahead of time what I can do to make these babies scream. so lets start with what I konw:

2400+ is a 133mhz fsb cpu stock with a multiplier of 15x for 2.0ghz and a model number of: AXDA2400DKV3C. this processor has the potential to easily reach 2.3ish ghz for a rating of greater than 2900+

my motherboard clocks the pci bus at 33 mhz Independantly of the fsb, allowing me to jack the fsb WAY out and not have to worry about hard drives, network cards, sound cards, etc holding me back.

there is a neat little trick to unlocking the multiplier on some motherboards by tying a thin wire around 2 of the pins on the underside of the chip, a guide to which I have a link for and think I could easily replicate if necessary.

that ends what I know. what I cannot discern is:

Does my chip come factory unlocked for use on any motherboard? or do only some of these model chips come unlocked as was true in the old days of the tbird 1.0s-1.2s?

if it is not factory unlocked for any platform, are the rumors and grumblings i've heard about how the nforce 2 automatically unlocks 2400+ chips and higher true? or, is this again on a case by case basis?

finally, if I do in fact need to manually unlock my multiplier, will the wire trick work with the proposed mobo? if not, and I have to turn to this fabled L3 bridge mod, how do I go about doing that? any guides out there on which bridge to mess with, and how to do it?

thanx for the help for clearing things up for me guys, really appreciate it

http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/TbredDecode0.htm

mind posting a link to that wiretrick?
(i need to modify my 1800tbred to acces multipliers over 12.5, and i keep getting clues about some wire trick but not finding exact instructions... i'd much rather do that than burn bridges.)

i can only say for sure that the lower (at least 1800xp+) tbreds are unlocked from factory for 5-12.5x multipliers..

and if i know well, then the higher one's are locked to the higher multipliers from factory and you'll need to do some modifying to access the lower multipliers..

I am wondering that myself about the multipliers, i have heard several different stories on that. I just got a retail xp2400 yesterday so I could probably shut down and try changing a multiplyer, lol, do you think this would be wise :p

well hec, its real easy to do and it wont damage your chip in any way shape or form. worst comes to worst, just re-set the cmos if it wont post after you try and change it. please do, i'd like to know your results

Okay I tried that, I shut down and i set her fsb to 100X20 and it started up fine. Then i tried FSB 140X13 and it wouldn't start up. I cleared and then I tried 140X14 and it wouldn't start up.

I guess this means that possibly 16 17 18 19 are unlocked?

15X (default) and 20X are most certainly unlocked I just booted with them both.

Its kinda disapointing though I mean, I wanted to up the FSB without overclocking the #@!$! out of my brand new processor lol.

Before i had this xp 2400 I had a thunderbird 1g which was locked and ran a 100mhz bus. It also didn't OC well at all and became unstable at 110X10 after a hour of gaming. So you can imagine i'm pretty excited about turning the bus up past 133!

I just booted with 20X and 15X(default), so some of the ones above 15 definitely work... 13 and 14 didn't boot.

You know that you have to connect the last L3 (right-most) then you get control over x12.5 and lower multipliers?
I'm not sure what you did to get these high multies, but it appears to me that you want low and not high multies. Just unlock the last L3

hi ya guys

ive just bought a new 2400 so i have it sitting here in front of me right now.

none of the L1 bridges on my chip have been cut through (there are no burn marks from the laser)

however the last two L3 briges have been cut

i have not had chance to test my new chip so this is a bit of a guess. i would imagine that because none of the L1 briges have been cut that all the multipliers must be avalible but from wot you guys are saying obviously they are not.

i was planning to unlock the chip so are you saying that all i need to do is unlock the end L3 bridge to get all the multipliers?

i am a bit confused as that in the past all that i have had to do is unlock all the L1 bridges

ps. has anyone tryed unlocking all the bridges on a chip wot do the rest do?

Here's the deal. With the 2400 and up chips you can use the multipliers higher than default without any modification if you have a KT400 or Nforce2 board. To use the multipliers of 12.5 and lower you must close the 5th L3 bridge. I just got my second A7N8X and a 2400+ and I could use multi's higher than default without modding the chip. I could NOT use anything below 15 until I closed the 5th L3 bridge. Secondly, to say that 2300ish is easy with the 2400 is a big stretch. I've got two week 44 chips now, and neither one will hit 2300 with as much as 2 volts and water cooling with a swiftech block. Both are perfectly happy at 2200, but it takes 1.9 volts and a water block to get that. If you want an almost guaranteed 2300 and higher get a 2700+.

I'm glad to hear about your OC TC. I was pondering the 2400 but had not heard a good trial. So you'd reccommend the 166MHz 2700(if that's right, I'm an intel user right now)?

Molybdym said:
I'm glad to hear about your OC TC. I was pondering the 2400 but had not heard a good trial. So you'd reccommend the 166MHz 2700(if that's right, I'm an intel user right now)?
Yep that's your best Athlon overclocking bet right now. If you can hit 2.4-2.5GHz you're running nicely compared to a 3GHz+ P4.

TC said:
Here's the deal. With the 2400 and up chips you can use the multipliers higher than default without any modification if you have a KT400 or Nforce2 board. To use the multipliers of 12.5 and lower you must close the 5th L3 bridge. I just got my second A7N8X and a 2400+ and I could use multi's higher than default without modding the chip. I could NOT use anything below 15 until I closed the 5th L3 bridge. Secondly, to say that 2300ish is easy with the 2400 is a big stretch. I've got two week 44 chips now, and neither one will hit 2300 with as much as 2 volts and water cooling with a swiftech block. Both are perfectly happy at 2200, but it takes 1.9 volts and a water block to get that. If you want an almost guaranteed 2300 and higher get a 2700+.

TC,

It is my understanding that some of the KT400 boards DO allow the lower multis WITHOUT having to do any bridge work.

Thanks,

Back