• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interferance with networking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jared555

I have a few different items that I want to make sure will not sometimes cause problems with my home network(2 computers and a switch in case I need to add a 3rd comp).

It isnt causing any problems YET I just wondered if it could eventually(I am playing music files off of another computer no problem).

My cable is, the 25 foot, A3L791-25-WHT LAN UTP CAT 5e Patch CABLE made by belkin.(kept the bag cause I have other junk in it)
It is a Etherfast 10/100 5-Port Workgroup Switch
One of the network cards is made by Intell and the other by Linksys(I forget the acuall names).

This network is not used for internet connection sharing(I am on 26k connection) just for files currently.

Perferably tell me which of these could cause problems, if any)
1. My subwoofer is running nearly right on top of one of the cables that is on my floor(it is an extra long cable).
2. My dad's network cable(only one that goes through the floor) comes up through the floor a couple inches away from a television cable(satellite/antenna).
3. Both network cables go past a 6-8 plug power box.
4. My switch is sitting directly on top of an external modem.
5. My switch/modem are directly on top of the computer case so they are surrounded by keyboard, mouse, 2 monitor, 1-3 speaker, printer, usb, etc. cables. and power cables for all my devices
6. I bought way too much cable but I dont want to cut it up... Both cables in one place or another are piled up(25 foot cable for 2 feet... and a 50 foot for 30). they are not both piled on top of each other though.

I havnt had any problems YET but I want to make sure I am not transfering an operating system(linux) or something else important between the computers and it fails on me heh. They dont go around my 2 monitors or anything at least...

Btw this computer is from Dell... Only way my parents were going to buy me this good of a system (good compared to my other ones I have had).

Thanks

Jared555 said:
1. My subwoofer is running nearly right on top of one of the cables that is on my floor(it is an extra long cable).
2. My dad's network cable(only one that goes through the floor) comes up through the floor a couple inches away from a television cable(satellite/antenna).
3. Both network cables go past a 6-8 plug power box.
4. My switch is sitting directly on top of an external modem.
5. My switch/modem are directly on top of the computer case so they are surrounded by keyboard, mouse, 2 monitor, 1-3 speaker, printer, usb, etc. cables. and power cables for all my devices
6. I bought way too much cable but I dont want to cut it up... Both cables in one place or another are piled up(25 foot cable for 2 feet... and a 50 foot for 30). they are not both piled on top of each other though.

I havnt had any problems YET but I want to make sure I am not transfering an operating system(linux) or something else important between the computers and it fails on me heh. They dont go around my 2 monitors or anything at least...

1. The EMI may cause minor problems depending on the cable length and quality. I would suggest moving it, if possible, as most Subwoofers aren't shielded.
2. Doesn't matter.
3. If it runs along side it w/o metal inbetween them, it will cause problems, otherwise, it probably won't cause too much interference. I would move it, if possible.
4. Doesn't matter
5. The only problems I can forsee are overheating. I've had my cable modem overheat a few times on me, and I know my switch heats up pretty good, make sure they're vented. As for the power cables, try to keep them away from the network cables, but it's not a big deal.
6. Doesn't matter. CAT5 cable won't cause interference on another CAT5 cable.

Myth: If I am transferring stuff across my network, and the network fails, then the bad data will make a corrupted file on the other computer.

Fact: There are failsafes in place, if the network fails, the other side will reject the bad data, and it will be resent. Worst case scenario: the transfer fails, and you find out that there is a network problem.

I don't know how well you remember highschool physics, but what causes network problems is EMI - ElectroMagnetic Interference. EMI is caused by: AC Generators, Flourescent Lighting, strong magnets and power cables. If the cable's touching any one of them, you'll want to move it. The 3 speakers are shielded, and will be fine, the individual power cables should be fine (as not much power will be flowing, it's the ones in the walls that you want to worry about.

Network cable is made to be as resistant to EMI as possible, that's what all the twisting is about. The more twists, the less possiblity of interference.

Last edited:
Back