• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WD Slightly humming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edien

My WD SE Edition 80GB HD just recently(3 weeks ago) started making a resonating tone every 3 seconds. Its not loud but is just a buzzing sound. Was wondering if this could possibly be the drive getting ready to keel over?
i ran the WD diag and everything checks out, and there doesnt seem to be any problems with performance. im wondering if anything else could cause this.

Last edited:
posible, I would watch it, and run the diag stuff every once in a while to make sure nothing is wrong. Hopefully it wont start making a weird clicking sound like my wd did before it died:(

hrmm alright, did yers start with a plain buzz? tommorow imma move it into my cases bottom HD holder next to my other hd and see if it still makes that noise

HDD's sometimes do that when they're thinking about something intermittantly, however i've heard (i.e. don't hold me to this; it's just something i've heard) that it can occur when there's a problem reading certain sectors, that a certain bit might be corrupted but like i say, don't hold me to this.

Back