• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good and bad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nokiaXP

what is the good or bad thing for overclocking a cpu and what is the advantage to set the fsb higher?why dun set the multiplier higher and lower the fsb?

good: more performance from the same chip
bad: puts out more heat which must be dealt with
bad: may make system instable if and while set too high
bad: may shorten components lives

Fsb is better because it raises memory bandwidth along with cpu bandwidth. On a current system, this is MUCH more effective at increasing performance than simply raising cpu mhz.

yeah if you go into the technical forum there is stuff about 1x multipliers which is quite a cool read...but FSB is definetly the way to go as multiplier doesnt offer anything but a higher clock...FSB upping gives a higher clock with the extra bandwidth - and I dont know whether this is set by the chipset but I think as bandwidth usage nears its limit the latency goes up and up - so I should imagine extending this bandwidth would mean better performance in transferring larger amounts of data

Back