• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this true about WD 8mb buffer drives in raid0??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lubetek

ive heard that they dont perform as well as the 2mb buffer units in raid zero. im going to build a raid 0 setup this weekend and im trying to decide on what drives to go with. I'd love to buy a couple of Western Digital 72k 8mb cache drives for this task, BUT ive heard that this might not be the ideal choice of HDD's.....what can you guys tell me????

Theoretically, they should perform better. When you have drives in RAID, it's like combining the cache on the drives as well. So if you have two drives w/ a 2MB cache, you effectively have a 4MB cache. Whereas w/ two drives w/ an 8MB cache, you effectively have a 16MB cache, and a much faster stripe.

But the only way to find out is to just plunge in and do it :)

According to overclockers.com.au

Raid 0 speed:

1. IBM 120GXP
2. WD JB series
3. Maxtor D740x
4. WD BB series

According to storagereview.com survey

Drive Reliability

1. WD JB Series
2. Seagate Barracuda IV
3. Maxtor D740X
4. IBM 120GXP

WD JB drives still carry 3 year warranty, so your Raid 0 Choice:

WD800JB

i posted somewhere here about that exact issue, in raid0 stripe WD1200JB 8mb didnt run as good as ata133 maxtors w/ 2mb cache..
the test was encoding video over 6-10 hour periods & the WDs where 20-30 minutes slower on same movie. perhaps on smaller jobs the 8mb cache may shine?

lubetek, i have been looking in to the same thing. For the best bang for the buck I'm going to go with the WD 80GB SE drives in RAID 0 which will be 160gb which is more then enough space for me.

Hey, just for the record. I have two WD JB 60GBs in a ATA100 raid 0. Works Great!!! The raid controller is a HighPoint 370.
Build on my Abit KT7-Raid. It gives me 60MB/s and is very stable. Go for the WD disks!!
Regards brint

For the most part it's really how you setup the RAID Array that gives you the performance & not just the hardware. Stripe & Cluster size combinations, OS, patches & Driver/RAID BIOS combinations are all relevant to how it will perform not to mention latency settings in the MoBo BIOS & then PCI Transaction Settings, Delay PCI Transaction, Master Read Caching... you get the picture. Just to prove my point I get 70MB/sec Write & 76MB/s Read with my old Seagate Barracuda III 2MB 7200rpm drives on my onboard HighPoint 372 on supposedly the worst OS of choice.

thats weird, my 8mb cache Maxtors own my 2mb WD...weird that the 8mb WD's wouldn't do the same

Zazuk said:
lubetek, i have been looking in to the same thing. For the best bang for the buck I'm going to go with the WD 80GB SE drives in RAID 0 which will be 160gb which is more then enough space for me.

Heh I thought so too (see sig) :D

These drives are fast and I according to the benchmarks, it's a fine choice for a solid raid array.

Back