• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HT & Seti?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamng

Hello,

Is anyone using the P4's Hyperthreading capability and running 2 instances of Seti on it?

How does it perform? i.e. If you have a 3.06GHz P4 and run 2 copies of Seti, does it look roughly like TWO 3.06GHz P4s crunching Seti or is it still only the performance of ONE 3.06GHz crunching Seti?

Thanks!
James

i've had the opportunity to crunch on a dual xeon setup (so four instances of seti.. yum). It wasn't like 4 2.4's crunching, but it was better than 2 2.4's. i'm not sure of the actual increase, but it does a bit better. maybe 40 percent better than just 2 2.4's...

Hmmmm.....I am surprised that it might be even as much as 40 percent better. Thanks!

This has been discussed quite a bit before. I've run seti on a few xeon servers with HT enabled. The completion times increase by about 30-40% so it's not as good as two physical cpu's but certainly better than just one.

Sorry, my bad. I didn't see it when I was searching the forum.

Back