• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silicon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

If a processor is made of silicone on the inside... Wouldn't that mean that for you to make the best typr of heatsink possible you could make one out of silicone? In a kinda waterblock setup? Maybe this is dumb as sh*t but i'm hammered and got one of those inspiring thoughts.

Silicon semi-conductors emit Heat, but silicon itself doesnt have great heat-transfer, ultimate waterblock would be made out of pure silver or gold.

This has been posted before, but what the hey. Some quick figures I got off the net are:
Gold : 293WmK
Copper : 386WmK
Silver : 406WmK
But the one that beats them all is diamond. I've found varying figures, but a figure that is agreed on is around 5 times as thermally conductive as copper - 2000 - 2500WmK.

has anyone made a silver heatsink or WB? if not I would like to make one if i had the spare $100 laying around. You can buy silver bulion on Ebay.

Last edited:
silver's funny, though. I'm sure its been done (in fact Terri Miller used a silver coin for a WB base-much cheaper), but silver's thermal properities are funny...

frostmeister said:
This has been posted before, but what the hey. Some quick figures I got off the net are:
Gold : 293WmK
Copper : 386WmK
Silver : 406WmK
But the one that beats them all is diamond. I've found varying figures, but a figure that is agreed on is around 5 times as thermally conductive as copper - 2000 - 2500WmK.

But it would have to be one big *** diamond because it you try aned attach 2 together it wont work because it dosent transfer heat to other surfaces very well :D

They press the diamond from carbon, into a mould at high temps. I mean they use hundreds of tons of pressure for one the size of your finger tip. The other way is vapour deposition. That creates a thin film of higly thermally conductive amorphous diamond on the surface of what you're coating. They mainly use that on tool surfaces to extend lifetime. Crystalline diamond is much better though than amorphous diamond for thermal conductivity.

Vulpes said:
Silicon semi-conductors emit Heat, but silicon itself doesnt have great heat-transfer, ultimate waterblock would be made out of pure silver or gold.

diamonds acutally would be better then silver and silver is better then gold

unfortunatly diamonds transfer heat linerally, so you'de basicly end up with direct die, just not directly on the die, and with one more material joint... lol

you could make a /\/\/\/\/\ top on the diamond, and get a better surface area but still, in some ways it's not as good as copper or silver

We need to buy one of these.
i-1.JPG

Back