• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X, not getting the RAM bandwidth i think i deserve...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pirate252

I am running one stick of Corsair C2 PC3200 in the 'non-colored' slot on this board, and i have the FSB at 190, the ram freq. as sync and the timings at 2-2-2-5-2T it really seems like i should be getting more than i am on sandra i am scoring 2720 int / 2423 float, this doent seem right i think i should be at LEAST breaking the 3 GB/s mark if not more i am running the 1001.c bios...i think, its werid becasue i flashed it and when i went back in all my settings were still there, i dont think it did it right, but maybe it did, i dont know...but should i maybe go to the E version, some people are saying its helping there RAM problems, but i dont know what problems there talking about, anyone have any ideas? thanks

Matt

Running the same timings as you with 1 stick of corsair xms pc 3200 cas2 at 190fsb (running sync memory speed) I am getting 2749/2523. Similar although yours are slightly lower than mine. Running 1001.c bios.

really? hmmm then why does it say that pc3200 is suposed to give 3.2 GB/s of bandwidth, that must be BS, but i just dont like seeing the bandwidth of PC2700 out of this overclocked memory.

But deathknite, what voltage and timings you running your stick at?...and maybe you can anwser the question of why my bios defaults to 2.6 on the VDIMM, i guess thats good, but i just thought it was weird, and i cant seem to find the 1T command rate, only 2, 2.5, and 3, same for you? And did my bios flash correctly even though it retained its settings? AND did you replace your HS on your NB, i didnt, and i dont know if it and the air coming off my CPU HS is sufficiant at 190...

Sorry so many questions, but hey stuff i need to know

thanks a lot

Matt

The "E" bios fixed compatability problems with some XMS3500 and OCZ ram. I don't think you should change bios if your board is stable. That score doesn't seem terribly bad. Mine's only ~2900/2700, and that's running two 256mb sticks in dual channel at 200FSB. If you want to try to get a little bit more of out if, you might try relaxing the timings a bit and see if you can get up around 200-204 on the bus.

yeah i tryed that, cant seem to break the 200 mark, even with the worst timings, i ran at 199 for a while, but had some issues, so 190 was wokring for me...

First of all to be getting PC3200 scores you need to be running your system at 200FSB. Even then 3.2GBs is completely theoretical. Memory never scores 100% of its design bandwidth. As it is now you're underclocking your ram, so you're certainly not going to get the most out of it. PC3200 is rated for DDR400 aka 200FSB.

well that 3.2 gigs of bandwidth will be at 200fsb (well theoretically) since pc3200 is ddr400. As far as voltage goes I am at 2.8vdimm. As far as timings I have the same exact timings set that you do. I have cpu interface set to aggressive (whatever that does...).

I can only go down to cas2 in my bios as well. I haven't tried to flash mine yet since it came with 1001.c already which is what I wanted to run. As far as why your bios defaults to 2.6 well I am pretty sure thats a standard voltage for memory. All of my mobos default at 2.6

First of all to be getting PC3200 scores you need to be running your system at 200FSB. Even then 3.2GBs is completely theoretical. Memory never scores 100% of its design bandwidth. As it is now you're underclocking your ram, so you're certainly not going to get the most out of it. PC3200 is rated for DDR400 aka 200FSB.

Right. Chipset and memory controller inefficienies and even trace lengths will never allow us to reah that theoretical maximum.

~THT

FWIW here is 200 sync, 7-3-3-2 with 2x 256 MB OCZ EL DDR 3500 Dual Channel:

200a7n8x.gif

so what is the 2-2-2-5-2T that Pirate is listing? Isn't that an extra number somewhere? I'm new so sorry if this is a stupid question, just seemed like one to many

I running 1x2700 samsung so if I unlock and reach 200fsb will I be running out of sync? Or can I change the ram settings to be in sync.

In my bios if I change mult. to man. it lists multipliers smaller than 12.5/13, for example 10. I'm assuming that since my cpu is still locked I will not be able to boot if I set it to 10x186 for example.

shogan191 said:
so what is the 2-2-2-5-2T that Pirate is listing? Isn't that an extra number somewhere? I'm new so sorry if this is a stupid question, just seemed like one to many

I running 1x2700 samsung so if I unlock and reach 200fsb will I be running out of sync? Or can I change the ram settings to be in sync.

In my bios if I change mult. to man. it lists multipliers smaller than 12.5/13, for example 10. I'm assuming that since my cpu is still locked I will not be able to boot if I set it to 10x186 for example.

If you want to run sync there is a setting in the bios to force it to run sync. The nforce2 boards will allow you to select the multipliers on the thoroughbred chips. Do you know if you have a tbred?

I thought it was a tbred 2700+ XP 333, but I haven't looked on the chip. I guess I'll do that right now. Man I hate those heatsink clips. What a pain in the..........thumb. Ok here's what I found : AXDA2700KV3D 9303233270081 AIUGB 0245VPCW
1999AMD 27291 So is it a tbred , A, B, what? After reading the sticky on the Processor part of the forums I think it is a tbred B. Could use some confirmation from you guys. Thanks,:)

Last edited:
Thanks THT. I'm slowly getting it together. Lots to learn. Appreciate the help. :) Ahh so now that I've hit the button, what is SSE enable/disable in the tweak section of WCPUID. Couldn't figure out where it started but when I hit OK for disable I got a blue screen and reboot. Seems ok but I wonder what that sse is for? :eek:

Last edited:
Your best results overall will come from running your ram in sync with the front side bus. Even if you run the ram faster than the fsb you'll generally get lower scores. This is due to the chipset not being able to handle the coordination of different timings as efficiently as running everything at the same speed. SSE is a set of instructions within the cpu if memory serves me correctly. There's no reason to disable it that I know of. I'd leave that alone.

Top Hat Theater said:
Tbred B (last letter of stepping)

For future reference, you coulda used WCPUID and it would have told you if it was Tbred or not. :)

~THT

Hmmmm....where in WCPUID would it tell you it's a Tbred?

Rush that's what I'm trying to find out. Seems I tried a lower multiplier when I first got this comp but I'm not sure now. I think when I did it just didn't post or boot. I'm thinking I tried the standard 166 fsb x 10 and got no post or boot, just a black screen. I'm having a friend come over tomorrow to help unlock the processor:eek: . He says that just connecting the Last L3 bridge won't do it and supposedly has a better way. I hope he's right. If anyone knows that the L3 bridge is the only way to go ont the 2700+s pleased let me know before we s... mess it up.

Back