• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Belkin Regulator Battery Back-up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ACF

Don't see a "UPS" forum so hopefully I can get some help here. :)

Bought one last night, plugged it in and charged it overnight. This morning I installed the monitoring software and battery level is around 70%, so I'm thinking ok a little fluctuation is ok. Then I try a power failure test as recommended and immediately the battery charge drops to 17% or so and the thing dies even before it can do its software recovery function and soft power itself down. :mad:

Anyone have one of these or anything like it? Is it possible I charged it incorrectly? Directions said to plug it in for at least 4 hours without any devices plugged into it so thats what I did.

Thanks.

It's possible that the monitoring software just doesn't work very well (most of the UPS monitors I've seen don't). You could try simulating a power failure without the software loaded.

Also, what's the UPS rated for in VA and what all do you have plugged into it?

Ok, thanks. Its 520 VA, I have a 19" monitor, and 2 PCs plugged into the battery outlets and a pc speaker system plugged into 1 of the other outlets. Not too much I would think.

And wouldnt it trip the breaker on overload?

Esh. I think you're pushing the limits of it. I have an APC 500VA, I have my system (details below) and a 17" monitor plugged in, I get a max of about 3.5 minutes before it overides anything I say and hibernates the computer.

The 19" inch is gonna suck a lot of juice, what are the stats on the other 2 machines you're running?

Yeah, I think you may be maxing it out. A 19" monitor will use 140-220VA, and a typical PC needs anywhere from 130 to 250VA. I'd say try taking one or two things off see how it goes.

Most smaller UPSs don't really have overload protection until you're on battery power (and sometimes not even then). If it fails almost immediately on battery power, overload is a good bet.

Back