• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sk-7 just arrived, need help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kent_b29

I just got my thermalright sk-7 in from bestbyte.net and have a few questions. First, What do the pads look like that are supposed to come with it. Everything that came in the package were a heatsink, thermal goop, wire fan clips, and a small white square of something(thermal pad maybe?) and a thin strip of something. What are those last 2 things? Also aren't some pads supposed to come with it? Like 4 of them or something?

Next question, how do I use the fan clips. Now maybe I'm stupid, but this will be my first computer that I'll have built so please help me out.

thanks,
Kent

thermal pad is the small white square...DO NOT USE THIS get some Arctic silver thermal compound to use between the CPU and HS. If you use the thermal pad you'll regret it later.

The two (or 3) wires attach onto the HS holding the fan on. Not to hard to figure out how they work so I'll leave that to you :p

look at the white square, you should see some little dots on it, that are perferated (sp?). I think you just pop em out and stick one on each corner, I'm not completely sure though, since I didn't use the pads. AS3 is the only thing on the bottom of my SK7.

and the clips, just hook them to the bottom of the heatsink where the holes are, then put the tops of the clips into the mounting holes of the 80mm fan. You can use a grill with the fan, but I found it more secure if I just dont use screws with the fan grill, so let the clips hold the fan grill on. btw, sorry for double post.

and pixillboy, do you even own this heatsink?

i have no idea how that is supposed to ship with that, some heatsinks ship with the feet/pads. the pads help to keep it level when installing, so i dont personally consider them essential, but i wont tell you its a great idea to not use them if you arent experienced. imo that is all the pads are good for, some say they help to keep from crushing the core but i dont personally buy that (except in the respect that they help keep the heatsink level when installing; if it isnt level when you press down you can possibly crack the core). i would also recommend not using the thermal pad, buy a thermal grease instead - it doesnt have to be arctic silver, though many like it and say its good, but you can do a search for thermal grease or whatever and see which sounds good to you.

Ok I figured out how to use the fan clips(man I'm dumb). I guess my heatsink didn't come with the pads, but I think I can manage. Thanks for the responses

Kent

Back