• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp2100+, unlocking a must?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyokusangi

Registered
is unlocking a must? im planning to get xp2100+ soon and i was wondering how fast it can go if i dont have to unlock the cpu and how fast it can go if i unlocked the cpu

Locked mine could get (143Mhz fsb)*13=1859Mhz
Unlocked it'll do 1930Mhz but I run it at 1912Mhz.

I get much better performance unlocked at 200Mhz fsb since it allows the memory to run much more effectively.

Welcom to the Forum! :cool:

Last edited:
If you don't want to have to unlock your chip, you might consider getting a Tbred since they are already unlocked. I have my 1800+ Tbred running at 10.5 * 187 FSB = 1.97 Ghz.

As deeppow said, you will get much better memory bandwidth and overall performance with an unlocked/higher FSB CPU.

Edward2 is correct to note the new Tbreds. Great performance at good prices. If you've got or are getting a KT400 or nForce2 board, their bios will automatically unlock the newer Tbred chips. A really good way to go if you're not tied to an older mobo that doesn't provide that through the board and bios. :cool:

i do feel welcome edward2. i c that the nforce2 boards unlock tbreds already. but is the nforce2 a video card or something?
i plan to get something like this board as shown on the link here
http://www.asus.com.tw/mb/socketa/a7v333/overview.htm

id like to hear your suggestion before i buy it, its onlt $115CDN and the cpu itself xp2100+ is only $165CDN. tell me what you think about the cpu and the mobo

just a warning, NOT ALL MOBO UNLOCKS YOUR TBRED!

nforce2 is a chipset for a motherboard.

I don't know much about that particular motherboard, but I'm sure you can find several people in the forum here who own that board and can tell you more about. I see that it uses the KT333 chipset, so I would think that it would automatically unlock the Tbred CPU. My motherboard (Abit KX7-333) also uses the KT333 chipset, and it unlocks the Tbred CPUs.

If you decide or cannot get a Tbred CPU, then you would have to decide whether you want to unlock it or not. The advantage to unlocking, of course, is that you can run a much higher FSB speed. This improves your memory bandwidth making the computer run faster.

Back