• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question About Forgotten Celerons!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alien76

I have an old Celeron 366 , 128MB ram and one crap LX/ZX440 board in my basement. I am wondering if some newer celeron ( for example 667Mhz (66FSB)) can work in that Motherboard. In the motherboard guide is written for celerons from 300-433, but it also says that supports only 128 MB ram but i had 256MB ram on it.
Thanks for replies!

it should work, but it may display the wrong info for the cpu.
but that won't make a difference to the performance.

also you will be limited to 66FSB (75 and 83 unoffical)...
just make sure that the motherboard can supply a low enough voltage for the CPU to work. As many older boards like that wont be able to drop the voltage down low enough

I believe you'd be stuck with a max 533 speed AFAIK...

I'm currently buzzing my BP6 dual PPGA BX-chipset mobo... I have two 533 PPGA's, and the mobo goes to 133 FSB, whilst the cell's only go 66... I hope to add a little extra pepper on the bus and make it go just a tad speedier...

Cheers, Flixotide

good point about the voltage jay. i'd forgotten about that.
i've never used an LX board, so i don't know what the voltage options are like.
but even if it can't give a low enough voltage, as long as it can get close it should be ok.

flixotide, don't get too hopeful about what you can do with those 533 celerons.
i believe getting them to 600 will be about the best you should hope for. you may get higher, but don't hold your breath.

the 533 was the last of the medochino cored celerons and they just don't like going much higher than 600.

Bum!!!! .... oh well... the whole fun was actually to set up a machine with two 533 celerons, since I practically got the BP6 board for free, and the chips as well.

We'll see, I haven't gotten hold of any sdram just yet, its all stuck in my tully at the mo, so the project will have to wait.

Cheers and thanks for the info guys,

Flixotide

My LX board has no voltage options. I don t know what voltage delivers to processor. Could that voltage ( i don t know what ) damages newer celerons??

if it can't deliver a low enough voltage it could kill the chip.
or you could find your chip running a fever. :p

IIRC the stock voltage for the cpu's it was meant to run is 2.0 or 2.2v. around there somewhere.
and the stock voltage for an early coppermine celeron is closer to 1.7-1.8v. (i'm just going from memory here, so i could be wrong)

if the board won't give a low enough voltage, your chip will either fry up and burn or run very hot.
there's only one way to find out. :D

P2 core CPU's (including celerons) use a 2.0Vcore (.25micron) and 2.8Vocre(.35micron)
P3's use a 2.0Vcore (.25), 1.65-1.75Vcore(.18) and 1.45-1.475Vcore (.13)
P3 Celerons use a 1.5-1.75Vcore (.18) and a 1.475-1.5Vcore(.13)

If the motherboard can not supply a low enough voltage to the CPU it will most likly not POST. You can however VID pin the CPU to the lowest voltage your motherboard supports to get it to POST. 3rd party companies also sell adapters with on board power regulation if the motherboard can not provide the correct voltage. However in the case of an LX board, a 3rd party adapter would not be worth your while

alien76 said:
I have an old Celeron 366 , 128MB ram and one crap LX/ZX440 board in my basement.

He never actually identified the chipset in question. While all the points raised about LX are true, ZX is a different animal. ZX is a much newer chipset, and for all intents and purposes identical to late model BX. I never did figure out why the ZX designation exists, as it is pin compatible and bios compatible with BX and performs in an identical manner. Should his board happen to be ZX, the chances of accomplishing what he wants are vastly better.

Jay do you possibly now the name of any adapter or some link where I can find information about it.

what adater???
Powerleaps adapters have voltage regualtion on them, but are $$$ and not worth the money for an LX board

Is that motherboard a socket-370 board or slot-1?

If it is slot-1, thenwhat you can do is get a coppermine compatible slocket that has jumpers so that you can set the voltage. Your motherboard most likely does not support voltages below 1.8v. If so then you will have to sett he voltage to 1.8v on the slocket.

For the processor, probably your best bet is a Celeron 733 or 766 because these are the highest Celerons out there that have a 66 MHz FSB (but if your board is actually a bX then it probably has 100 MHz FSB support and this opens up more possibilities). The Celeron 733 and 766 will have default voltage of either 1.7v or 1.75 so you won't really be overvolting them that much.

Good luck,
James

Can anyone tell me name of adapter that supports Vcore changes??? I found PowerLeap adapter Neo370 but it doest support changing Vcore. My MB doest have any Vcore options and of course its ZX so coppermines cant fit it.

alien76 said:
Can anyone tell me name of adapter that supports Vcore changes??? I found PowerLeap adapter Neo370 but it doest support changing Vcore. My MB doest have any Vcore options and of course its ZX so coppermines cant fit it.

You must not have read what I posted above. I would say that there is real good chance that a coppermine or even a tualatin CPU would work in your board.

I actually took my PIII-S 1.4 GHz out of my P3B-F and tried it in an old Acer LX motherboard. I manually set the voltage to 1.8v on the MSI slocket (Tualatin mod has been done) and I did get some error message at POSTing saying the CPU microcode is unknown or something to that effect but I could continue by hitting F1. Got into Windows and had no problems at all. The CPU was of course only running at 700 MHz since this board only supports 66 MHz FSB. However, I not sure if all or any of the L2 cache was being used because CPUz and CPUID didn't recognize any L2 cache. A copppermine processor would probably work even more easily since you don't have to do Tualatin mod...all you have to do is manually set the vCore to 1.8v.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i was thinking of getting a P3-s 1.4/slotket and putting it into my SE440BX-2 MOBO cuz it can run @ 133MHz, how much would heat be an issue ? and whats with P3-s1.4 default FSB ?

Back