• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth it? That's the question!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sekai

Hey there,

So a while back, someone had given' me a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop.
it's roughly a year old now i think.

The laptop in question was dead, the motherboard got fried, though i've test the rest " CPU, RAM HDD and such and all is fine "

at the time i did not need it, since i had my trusty netbook and i was fine with it, though now i'm starting to travel a lot and would like to be able to play games, since i can't always have my desktop around me.. (Desktop on planes, oooh yes sound good to me)

so before i buy the new motherboard i want to know if it would be worth it to get the version that has a Discrete graphics card slot (though i need to buy the card separably)
The cards in questions that i have the choice are, nVidia GeForce 8400m GS 128mb (50$ off ebay with the proprietary connector for the motherboard) OR nVidia GeForce 8600m GT 256mb(120$ with proprietary connector)

in total this will come to 300$ spendings to recondition this laptop, will it be worth it getting one of those 2 options ? or should i just stick to the motherboard with onboard graphics " Intel GMA 3100x i think " and only spend 120$?

Thanks in advance :)

PS: sorry if this is kinda long/bloated with details, i tend to do that often without noticing....

Last edited:
If it were me I would rather have a new product for a few hundred more that has better specs but I don't know what your budget is (especially if you want to play games on it).

Depends what you're hoping to play on it....even the 8600gt 256mb isn't that fast anymore. Also $400 seems like a lot to spend on a laptop that's at least 2 years old and has already died once.

Depends what you're hoping to play on it....even the 8600gt 256mb isn't that fast anymore. Also $400 seems like a lot to spend on a laptop that's at least 2 years old and has already died once.

First off it's 300$ sorry about the typo there :p

though i'm not going to be doing big gaming, i don't mind runing things on low though the reason it died the first time was cause of a power surge during a lightning storm, the classic of a power line getting striked, yup..

the system had 4GB of ram, an Itel Core 2 Duo @ 2.40GHz, and two 360 GB WD drive in it, also has an HD monitor on it as well as the HD-DVD player.

though i mainly play source games such as Team fortress 2, some bit of CSS and half-life.
might play Mass Effect 2, some people report have good fps and no lag with such a setup.

I don't have much money anymore since it all went for my studies and won't have a job for another year or two... also the netbook died so yeah, a replacement that could offer some decent power is very welcomed, i was just wondering if the 8600m GT is worth the spending, if not, i'll stick to the 120$ mobo with the intergrated Intel gpu.

Thanks for the input though, have a nice day =)

Well if you hope to game at all you'll need the 8600gt at $300 it's not so bad and if cash flow is tight that would seem to be your best option.

Back