• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Acceptable temps with overclocked Tualatin Celeron?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

breez

Topic speaks for itself. I'm going to try the 133MHz FSB with Lapped Intel Retail HSF. Sig is out-of-date, my board is MS-6337LE5.

You should look into geting a better heat sink the stock one is a pos. Dont waist your time with it get a good one.

the pep66 kicks a**. no matter how many volts i put into a chip the temps stay down (room temp at idle, ~30 under load)... i even have a peltier just lying around because i don't need it. what i don't get is, why do something different because you are switching boards, ought it not work just the same as on the be6?

Well, my BE6 died. Capacitors looked OK, my dad replaced them, but it still was unstable.

I think the PEP66 will fit my board just fine. If not, I'll just do the trick to get the fan ontop of the HS. I couldn't use PEP66 on BE6 board because it wouldn't fit (dimm slots too near).

breez its look like you are the fourth whom Abit Board died after he used an Tualatin.. :(

how long could you drive the Tualatin on your Abit Board ? Someone else here told that his Abit Board died in just 3 days after he upgraded to an Tualatin...

Last edited:
Before I got my PIII-S I was running a 1.1A OCed to 133 FSB on my Tusl2-C. I was using default Vcore and started out with a retail HSF with the fan 7-volted (this was for a quiet computer). Prime95 load temps were in the low 50C range. I got an SLK-800 and put a 7-volted L1A on it and the load temps dropped to 47C.

If you extrapolate from my results and are using 12V fans you shouldn't see anything more than mid 40C range at load.

Taisho said:
breez its look like you are the fourth whom Abit Board died after he used an Tualatin.. :(

how long could you drive the Tualatin on your Abit Board ? Someone else here told that his Abit Board died in just 3 days after he upgraded to an Tualatin...

About one month and the powercables connector from Powerleap adapter to PSU got burned (still a mystery). I replaced the connector and got everything stable, for sometime. Few weeks and it was all downhill. In the end it wasn't stable even at stockspeeds. I could've get another Abit board for cheaper than this MSI board, but I don't trust Abit Slot1 boards anymore (at least not with Tualatins). I had the board for a month before the problems started.

Tomorrow I'll borrow the PEP66 from my brother (used to post here using nick "asmodean") and try overclocking. Too bad the maximum voltage this board gives me is 1.625. That could be enough as this cpu is stable at ~1600 with default voltage.

At 1635MHz I get 46C idle temp and 55C when using CPUBurn. Maybe I should really get the PEP66...

I'm using the PEP66 now. Too bad I couldn't get the Sunon fan, but I found one Goldstar 60x60 fan. Fan isn't too loud, but it doesn't move that much air. I wiped out the silicon based compound and put a thin layer of ASII.

1300@1741MHz (133MHz FSB) at 1.6 volts. Prime95/Pifast gives me 52C but CPUburn 55-56C! Huge difference I think. Are these temps acceptable? 3DMark, Prime95 and Pifast run stable, but CPUburn did a weird thing once. It just stopped burning and the commandline window with blinking "_" was closed. Main window stayed alive. Maybe too low voltage? I remember something about AS needing 2-3 days to get full performance. Could my temps lower 1-2C?

Miracle! I just turned the fan to blow air out of the heatsink and now after 10min of CPUburn temp is 48-49C!

Last night I got some bluescreens and memtest86 reported errors. I upped VIO to 3.4 and now everything seems stable at 1741MHz. I just ran 9 hours of CPUburn and Prime95 at the same time with no problems. Temp was 49-50C. And this is just a tA1 stepping processor!

edit: Looks like I spoke too early. It seems that CPUburn wasn't running anymore after that 9 hours. It looked like it was running but now when I tried it again, temps rised to 53-55C fast. Prime95 was still running and reported no errors. I backed down the FSB to 130 (1701MHz :) ) This should be ok for casual using (CPUburn is one hell of a test).

Last edited:
I've got a 1.2Tually running at 1487 with stock hsf. My temps under load (folding) are 21 C for mobo and 24 C for cpu. I have an antec case with four fans blowing air in and sucking air out. This thing runs very cool. I've tried clocking higher but the system keeps crashing. I think my ram is crappy. It's generic ram, and once I get some good stuff I'll see what I can do. I don't run prime95, but this thing folds 24/7, with no errors. My suggestion for high temps with a tually, is put a couple more fans in, and change out the stock hsf. Mine is pretty good, but if I want to go higher, I'll probably do that after I change the ram.
Doc

ps this is the one I dropped and bent three pins on.

IMO the PEP66 is not good enough to keep Tualatin temps reasonable if you pump 1.65v or more. I had one on my P3-S, and I could not keep it below 52c under load with 1.65v. I got the SLK-800 and my load temps went down by 6c at the same vcore.

I don't know, this PEP66 is supposed to cool 1400TB which produces 72W heat. My processor is doing 51W at 1.7GHz 1.6V.

Back