• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Celerons ona cheap mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFrag

Is it possible to have dual Celerons? About how much would it cost for 2 higher end ones and a cheap but stabble, maybe OCable, but not needed, mobo cost? Assuming it is possible. I REALLY want duals, but PIII's (god I want some) cost waaaaaaaaay to much and the mobos for socket A's cost waaaaaaay to much, so either way I am screwed, so I am looking to the celeron. Thnx.

You cant more modern coppermine celersons but P3s will work. A dual P3 will still cost to much to be worth it. Chips around 1 GHz are simply way overpriced. Your best solution is to get a refurb MSI K7D master and 2 XP1700s or 1800s from newegg. My MSI cost $159 shipped and 2 XP1800 AIUGA were $118 shipped! You can get a dual P3 board for a bit less but the CPUs make up for much of the difference in price. For the lilttle extra the athlon rig will cost you will get a massive gain in performance.

hmmm
I guess I will wait off as I am gonna buy a TbredB xp2100 tommorow lol

I know it's redundant now, but I still want to answer your question (just so you know ;))

You can only use PPGA celerons (up to 533 mhz) in an Abit BP6 motherboard. That board can be modded to run with coppermine PIII's but it's not the easiest mod. (check out www.bp6.com ).
There are also socket adapters out that hold tualatin cpu's and are reported to work in smp. I don't know if these will run on the BP6, but they should work on say the MSI 694d rev. 1, which is the *only* other dual socketed board that runs celerons (PPGA). It also runs PIII cpu's.
Your third option would be to run celerons on a dual slot 1 board with slockets.

Anyway it's all moot, because you've made the right decision in going the AMD route. Keep an eye out for refurbished boards at newegg. They can be had for less than $100.

I am gonna have a lef tover AGOGA "Y" 0402 xp1800, so I guess I will keep that and wait for one like it to appear in the classifieds when I have the cash.

Back