• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where do you buy most of your computer hardware?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

• A local computer shop

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • A large super-store (Best Buy, Comp USA, etc.)

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Online store

Votes: 139 74.3%
  • I don't buy hardware, I only use what people give me

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Online classifieds

Votes: 9 4.8%

• Total voters

flounder43

Senior Lawyer-clocker

I buy mostly at a local shop. Despite the higher prices, I can see the product, and can take it home with me immediately.

Last edited:
usually i buy online from newegg (or SVC for heatsinks). if i need something small like a fan or something i'll go to microcenter (rather large computer store) but for anything more expensive online is my only chioce, local stores inflate too much.

also, i buy from the classifieds here when i see a great deal and i have a few bucks to spare (which isn't often. belive me, if i had the money to spare i would own the classifieds :D )

I buy from newegg due to the lack of local shops. The one computer shop we have stocks almost nothing and has horrible prices.

I buy on-line and would again from NewEgg, SVCompucycle, AVLogic, ACME Micro Systems, Case-Mod.com and a few others. However, I've got to be more careful when buying from eBay.

Local shops, mainly because I am Canadian and the cost of shipping and duties is more expencive then buying from the local guy.

if I was Amarican I would order from newegg, but they don't ship out side of the USA

Mostly Newegg except when I can find a good deal in town. On occasion Best Buy, Circuit City and the like have a great deal on sdram for my older machines.

NewEgg, I'd rather wait then spend 20-50% more locally.

And waiting builds character... patience fosters ulsers! lol

I have no choice but to use online stores.
There is no store near me that stocks anything remotely decent when it comes to computer components.
The only place I could go to is PC World or Maplin and they only have crappy generic stuff. If I really wanted to I could buy a new CPU from the local Maplin store but the cost is enough to make you gag!
It will be a very long time before I can walk into a shop and browse a selection of quality heatsinks, fans, memory, cases etc etc.

Silver said:
Newegg for main components. Various others for specialty items.

Same. I usually go to www.kdcomputers.com for miscellaneous items like grills, fans, wiring, and hardware. But big components, like motherboards, RAM, disk drives, etc., I get from newegg.

Back