• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP-2100 Thoroughbred! NEED help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atari

Hey guys... It's on the FedEx truck right now... =P Cannot wait!

I need your help though. I'm running a A7N8X Deluxe with Corsair Pc3500.. Right now my memory is 2-2-2 cas 2. I'm able to run these because I have a 2100XP Pal. @ 140 fsb which cant OC for ****.
SO my question is to get the most out of an OC what should my Memory settings be now??? Btw, I'm still learning memory settings
since my last mobo was an ecs ;). So can you lable the memory settings in order.. Thanx a ton guys!!

Btw. I heard you still have to unlock these cpus to get the multi's down.. Is there a web site that explains how to do this on a 2100 t-bred??

Try to keep your latency to 2.
The others are Precharge to Active, Active to CMD, and Active to Precharge. Latency-2 PreAct-2 ActCMD-2 ActPre-4 is great as long as it holds. Once it freaks out I'd back the PreAct and Act AMD to 3 and ActPre higher (so 2-3-3-6), try to keep your latency as low as possible that's where it's at IMHO.

Seeing as I'm not an AMD guy I have no clue on the unlocking. Search the forums for links to unlock though

Sweet guys thanx for the help! Soon as I get it today I'll tell yah what I get =P.

1 thing thought what should I use to connect the L3 bridge?? Do i have to fill in a pit or anything??

Nope, you can just go around the pit sorta like a half circle around the bridge as it is the last bridge. You should use a conductive pen to connect it or a repair defogger kit will work which you can find in an auto store.

I have to wonder though.. Is it really necessary to unlock it? I mean these people getting 2.3ghz and up on these, are they unlocking it? I dont think so, since droppin the multi just slows your mhz on the cpu and allows yah to push the fsb more.

The advantage to unlocking the CPU is that you can raise the FSB speed and increase your memory bandwidth. Since your motherboard has locked PCI and AGP bus speeds, you could easily raise the FSB to over 200 MHz and take advantage of that memory you have (Corsair PC3500). I would personally run the highest FSB speed which can still use the fastest memory timings (2-2-2-5-2 1T CMD).

Atari said:
I have to wonder though.. Is it really necessary to unlock it? I mean these people getting 2.3ghz and up on these, are they unlocking it? I dont think so, since droppin the multi just slows your mhz on the cpu and allows yah to push the fsb more.

Depending on the mobo you install it in

So far most peeps dont need to unlock it

I didnt & im @ 2158mhz or 2.1 gig

Ill be pushing it more after I find something to burn it in with

Does anyone know a good way to clean off conductive pen marks?? Going to mod my chip and was wondering if there is any way to clean it off if mistakes are made.

I was reading the Anandtech nforce2 6 way mobo shootout and in the overclocking sections of the review, specifically the A7N8X, they said it wasn't necessary to unlock the the Thoroughbred B CPUs since the nforce2 Bios allows you to change the multiplier w/o unlocking it.

Can anyone confirm this? I'm running a A7N8X deluxe. My XP 2100+ Thoroughbred B AIUHB is in the mail from newegg.

I'm hoping to at least get 200x10 out of my CPU, hopefully higher by playing around with the memory timings for my Corsair XMS 3500s and with my Danger Den watercooling system..

Haven't installed the watercooling yet though, currently running my AMD 1.4 Thunderbird with a thermaltake hsf.

Kentarou

XMS 3500 can handle 2-2-2-5 @ 217 FSB with maybe a .1v bump in vdimm (it's got a lifetime warranty to 2.8v, so why not?), you got nothing to worry about with your RAM :) You could most likely run stock vdimm at 2-3-3-6.

I run at 200 2-3-3-6. Why not 2-2-2-5 or lower? I tested it, pretty much no difference - but less stable. Remember to run the Sandra memory benchmark when you're playing with settings, cuz there's no point to stressing components and risking stability for a 20 MB/sec increase in mem bandwith.

--Illah

ASUS A7N8X has multipliers 5-17 unlocked for Thoroughbred processors, because they come factory unlocked. Some motherboards do not have the multiplier options, but A7N8X does (at least thats what I've read, no personal experience yet.)

Also to get more then 1.6v VCore am I going to have to mess with the L11 bridges or since my MSI board allows up to 1.85V and is a KT400 will that override the 1.6v VCore and allow me to go up to 1.85v VCore?

i have an msi kt333 board and with a tbird it let me have 1.85 up from 1.75 with a tbred a it let me have 1.6 up from 1.5 and with a tbred b it let me have 1.7 up from 1.6 i would imagine u would have to mess with the L11s like me or just volt mod the board. i did that too its easy enoughwith a radio shack soldering iron

Back