• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fighting condensation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paazabel

Odd question ...

I am planning on doing pelts or chilled water on my MOSFETS on an 8RDA+ motherboard. The goal is to get to 250MHz FSB, come hell and cold water.

The problem with this is that parts of the motherboard get super hot that are not, shall we say, "cooling friendly." I've got an idea on how to heat-pipe some of the small timing chips, but I may need some more extreme cooling on the voltage regulators.

How can I keep condensation from getting into those little nooks and crannys between them???

In addtion to silicon, you may also want to look into conformal coating. It comes in a spray can and can really help out with fighting condensation problems.

I think u could get 250fsb if u put the chilled water on the NB and did a VDD mod.But if u still want to cool the MOSFETS u should just run a copper tube with the chilled water running through it over the MOSFETS and just silcone the tube and MOSFETS.

*ponders* No, I hadn't ...

You definitely have to do the VDD mod to get to 250. The problem is how hot most of the components on the board get when you do that, particularly the little timing chips and the voltage regulators. I've even heard one complaint that at super high FSB, even the *southbridge* gets so warm, a heatsink is a good idea ...

Submersion could be an interesting way to solve those problems.

That's an amazingly good idea ... Right now, I'm going to finish the water, since I already have all that, but now you have me thinking ...

May have to make that version 2.0 ... especially if I can't get to my goal with air and water ...

hey paazabel let me know if u need help researching i would greatly appriciate helping in the quest for 250 fsb. unfortunatley i must remind you most boards used in total submerge die about 6 months after in everything ive read...

Well, the goal is a usable PC, so I don't want something that's going to croak on me. For now, it's air and cold water, and I want to see how far that will take me. I think with a lot of strategically placed Arctic Alumina, I should get pretty dang close. Assuming my mosfets don't boil in water droplets ...

aahhhh remember u may want to get a 120 blowing on the mobo and make and air duct behind. a lot of heat does get dissapated from the board and if ur gonna go and push it that far it could be a factor...

Back