• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Back up to strength

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
I'm finally now folding at my full potential... that's the short version, here's the long.

Right before I went on vacation to Montana I got my dual PII box running with Redhat and f@h. It folded while I was gone with my main box shut off (it was using the port on the router that my main box normally used since we have 5 comps in my apartment and 4 ports on the router). I had been meaning to order a new 10/100 switch from Newegg for a while after I got back but never really got around to it.

A week ago yesterday I fried my Duron 1.2's from my Dual rig in a bridge modification experiment. Well, I should say cracked one and fried another. Shoot.... I was working on the bookPC box and down to folding only on my XP box and my dual at work. (Why I didn't get my dual PII going again at this point I'll never know).

So since I had to order new CPU's, I picked up an extra 10/100 switch so I could get that dual PII going again. Last night I spent most of the night getting the dual XP's running, and tonight I finally got everything else up and running so now I am FINALLY up to full strength. It's definitely been a long week of futzing with these stupid machines. So here's my roll call now:

Full time:
2x PIII Xeon 550 - work box
2x PII 300 - "Blur" - named in honor of those original PII commercials where they played "Song 2" :D
2x XP 1700+ TBredB - not overclocked right now, that's on the plate after I get my Audigy hiccups fixed
1x XP 1800+ Palo - fileserver box - probably my most reliable

Part time:
1x Duron 1 GHz - my mom's box I built for her for Mother's Day - googlehacked, only runs when she turns it on to work on it. Finished its first WU not too long back... :)

Anyway... that was a mouthful. I'm now back and I'm shooting at that 300 points/week mark...

sb

Good to hear you're back at full speed. ;) w00t!

You'll have to let me know how that dual P II folds. If it does well enough, I might have to look into a board for the twin P II 350's I've got tucked away for a rainy day.

Fold ON! :beer:
B.

Mr. B -

I can tell you this much - the PII system, while I was on vacation, folded 1 complete P187_1FSVnat, 1 complete P190_1fsvunf340, 61/100 frames on a p201 and 61/100 frames on a p202.

This was from a late Thursday night until a late Wednesday night, so basically 3 proteins in a week.

Considering this box cost me a total of $71 to get running.... I don't think it was too bad. It's also good experience for me - I am running CLI-only Redhat 8 on it. Linux is definitely getting a lot easier for me. :D

Check eBay for some cheap dual slot 1 boards - they're around. You're going to need BX though for that 100 MHz FSB. A lot of people are still breathing life into those old dual CPU BX boards. I doubt you'll be able to find one for $11 like I got my board for... lol

sb

SickBoy said:
Mr. B -

I can tell you this much - the PII system, while I was on vacation, folded 1 complete P187_1FSVnat, 1 complete P190_1fsvunf340, 61/100 frames on a p201 and 61/100 frames on a p202.

This was from a late Thursday night until a late Wednesday night, so basically 3 proteins in a week.

Considering this box cost me a total of $71 to get running.... I don't think it was too bad. It's also good experience for me - I am running CLI-only Redhat 8 on it. Linux is definitely getting a lot easier for me. :D

Check eBay for some cheap dual slot 1 boards - they're around. You're going to need BX though for that 100 MHz FSB. A lot of people are still breathing life into those old dual CPU BX boards. I doubt you'll be able to find one for $11 like I got my board for... lol

sb

3 in a week, eh? Hmm...that's sure better than the 1 in 3 weeks a single P II 350 did while I was playing around with Mandrake 8.2 a while back. Actually...I think you got the drive I was using with that rig...LOL That drive *should* have had a full install of 8.2 on it...I know I didn't format it before I shipped it out. :p

I got your PM's, thanks! Both the Mrs and I are out of work ATM (been waiting on someone to get back to me on a job, but hasn't for three days...:rolleyes: ). I've got a dentist appt in two hours that says no job hunting this afternoon....:rolleyes:

The upshot? No new "acquisitions" for a while.....:rolleyes: What little $ I've got, has to stttrrrrreeeeeettttcchh as far as it can. :(

But, those links in the PM's will be kept for "reference". the fiscal situation is temporary, and the sun will shine again. When it does, one of those dual BX boards will come available.

Cheers!

B.

Yeah, that drive did have some Linux partitions on it - I just overwrote everything when I put Redhat 8 on it. 1 protein in 3 weeks seems abnormally slow...

If I were you, when the $$$ starts flowing again I'd eBay off all those old single PII boards (if you still have them - you should have at least 4 of them, right?) and hopefully you'd be able to finance a dual slot 1 BX board. I run "Blur" on a generic 250W PSU and I'm almost totally convinced that this thing has to be more power efficient than running two single CPU rigs.

Back