• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i got a Tandy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TweakOC

I just got a Tandy from my friend it has a 124MB HDD and it's a 486...
Can I upgrade the HDD or put a CPU in it. Because I looked inside and there was no CPU just the Socket.

DSC00604.JPG

Ummm... yeah, that's old. What speed 486? Are we talking 486SX, DX... more information would be helpful. It is possible that the socket you see is for a math co-processor, and the chip is already in another socket or soldered to the motherboard.

As far as the HDD, I don't think they could handle much more than 500~MBytes without some alterations to the computer (BIOS updates I think but there might be more involved).

Sheesh, it's been awhile since I've worked on one of these.

If it's a 486SX then the empty socket is for a math co-processor like Jazz mentioned. Seems like Tandy might of soldered the CPU right to the mobo. If it's truly missing the CPU, I have a couple extra 486 processors and even a mobo. Pay for shipping and all my old 486 junk is yours for free. I might even have a couple small harddrives too.

Well. If a BIOS update will help that would be good cuz i have a 2 GB HDD i would like to put in it. But about the CPU yeah its soldered to the mobo. So whats a math co-processor?

Edit: it's a SX

These days, math co-processors are integrated into CPUs. But, some 486's (the SX model if memory serves) did not have them. You could buy "overdrive" chips to add the math coprocessor and sometimes a multiplier to the CPU. This is one of those overdrive processors as seen on eBay but they came in many different flavors. I have a similar model which put my 486SX 25MHz up around a 486DX4 75MHz. Maybe Batboy's got a few overdrive processors in that heap o' stuff of his too...

Yeah would the lil thing go faster and what about memory it already has 8mbs do you think it can get anymore... I'll get the mobo brand in a sec.

It would go faster most likely. How much faster would depend on the type of overdrive chip you bought and what your chip is running at now. And I think it might be worth upgrading the RAM too. Theoretically my 486 downstairs can handle up to 16MB. It would depend on the mobo's limitations as to how much more RAM it could handle though, you'd have to try and find some specs on it online.

I'm guessing the RAM is the old 30 pin. Might wanna check to be sure. Those are getting hard to find in the larger size and are too expensive when you can find them. I might have a few 1 meg sticks. The 72 pin RAM is easier to find and I have several 4 and 8 meg sticks of those.

I know for sure that I have one 486DX-33 and one 486DX-66 CPU and maybe a couple others. You'll need to figure out what CPU you currently have in that sucker and if it's in a socket that allows removal. They have a special tool that removes the CPU from the socket. I used to have one of those tools once upon a time, but I have no idea what happened to it. You'll also need to figure out the system bus speed. If it's a SX, then it'll probably be 20 or 25 MHz.

Chances are you can't update the BIOS or if you can, there will be no update that allows you to use a larger harddrive. After it's all said and done, you spend a bunch of time and money on this and you still have an obsolete computer that will barely run WIN95 (forget about WIN98 or newer). The Tandy might be all proprietary, and if so, you might not be able to upgrade stuff for it anyway. Personally, I don't think it's worth messing with.

Last edited:
That's an old one. Got one myself. My friend actually has a Comador64 at his house.

The Commodore 64 is quite a bit older than that Tandy.

As for what it's worth... functionally, nothing. Aesthetically, nothing. But, maybe you can pitch it to someone as a collector's item, or maybe set it up to play some Commander Keen.

Good luck selling it, I can't even give my old 486 stuff away. But who knows? People buy all kinds of stuff on eBay. Like Shade said, write up a description telling how much it's a rare collectible vintage museum piece... lol... someone might bid on it.

Back