• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the 1.7ghz Celeron (Northwood) any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

i need a basic system.. a little computer gaming... some digital editing... something that well i'm basically short on cash but need a new comp sorta deal thing.... i just went to newegg and saw that they had a 1.7ghz celly with 256k cache... so i say's to myself....(not bad!) what are your thoughts guys> is this a good enough processor to hold me down till i can afford a 2.66 or something?

either you read it wrong, or newegg wrote it wrong.

the 1.7 celeron isn't a northwood, nor does it have 256k L2 cache.

it is a willamette, uses 128k L2 cache and is an "absolute, without doubt, nothing you say will change my mind" piece of crap.

avoid it like you would avoid a bullet in the head. :D

EDIT: if you must get a celeron to cover you until you can get a fully tanked P4, get a 2.0 or above celeron.
they still only have 128k, but they do use the northwood core and can be overclocked a fare amount to at least take up some of the slack from the low L2 cache.

ya u did read it wrong says (as quoted at bottom)
"Intel Pentium 4 1.7GHz 256K 400MHz Socket 478 Processor Retail Box
Specifications:
CPU: 1.7 GHz
Type: Pentium 4
Cache: 256K
BUS: 400 MHz
Socket: 478 Retail (Box with Heatsink and Fan) (NO RAMBUS RAM) Model#: BX80531NK170G"

ya they sorta do... oh well i quit my job (damn school my parents made me) so i dun got no more source of income :( so i guess until summer my money is sorta limitesd

i just picked up myself a 1.7 celleron. i got it for 2 reasons. first of all.. it was dirt cheap ... $96CAN and second of all, i was fed up with my 300A celly.. the mobo was going on me and there was so much wrong with it, it drove me crasy. it wouldnt have lasted me till the summer anyways when i get my fully loaded P4. but for now, its doing good. i got it on a gigabyte PE667 board with pc 2700 mem. got all of that for 300$CAN which is exactly what i wanted to spend! :D

I am thinking of trading my 1.6a and bd7 for a 2.0 celly and maybe a msi 645max, or p4s533, or something else. Anyone have any good suggestions for a mobo to pair with a 2.0 celly and overclock her?

Quad that :eh?: :D

Willys arn't to good to start with but when you remove half the L2 then that is horrable, I have no idea why Intel makes those POS'es, thay should use the Northy core.

Does Intel have a plan to have 256k Cellys?

did you read the whole thread, Mr. $T$?

the 2.0 and above celeron's do use the northwood core.
but they still only have 128k.

the tualatins use 256k L2.

i have no proof, but i suspect the next 256k celerons won't appear until the prescot is released with 1mb L2.
with a bit of luck, they may even make 512k celerons?

I have to do it because of money reasons. I am going to sell the 1.6a even though it hits 2.4 with stock voltage. I need money and the 2.0 celly is cheap. I need a new toy to play with too, I want to try for 3gig.

Back