• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor whining???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Balzlak

Registered
Occasionally when I turn my computer on, the monitor makes a high pitched whine when it's on my desktop. This problem persists in Internet Explorer and other programs that don't change the screen. The only way to solve this I've found is to open a game and then minimized it to make it go away. When I close the game, the whine comes back. Does anyone know why it's doing this? The monitor is 4 or 5 year old 19' monitor made by a Sweedish company(don't know anymore)

I noticed this with a Samsung monitor I RMA'd, very irritating. My newest monitor does this too but it's not that noticable. If yours wasn't doing it before or it's just becoming louder now, sounds like it's just getting old.

my old monitor startewd doing this as well very wierd, only in certain programmes too. It seems that as they get old and decrepid just like us monitors start to whine its apparently to do with the cathose tube (the big glass bit) as it heats up and cools down over the years the glasses properties change and eventually you get resonance whine :rolleyes:
Personally Id take that with a pinch of salt but the only way to cure it once it starts......
you guesed it.....
new monitor.

I figured as much. Well, this monitor had a good 4-5 years of service, but it seems I'll have to convince my dad to get me a new one as it's very noticeable and almost painful to listen too.

You can try to change display resolution from say 1024x768 to 800x600 or 640x480. That may help.

Back