• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

chieftec PCU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

apomak88

Registered
Hello! Can you please tell me if this is a problem or if its ok :When i touch the power suply with the pc closed its warm like 42c. I know that my previous pc does not have this "problem" .What do you think?
Thank you in advance
apomak

Describe your case ventilation system. IE How many fans blowing in versus blowing out, their size and rated velocity, etc.

Case ventilation can have a crucial impact upon how warm your PSU runs, as well as how hard it is working.

Hoot

The fans are all off cause the pc is turned off! I just have the box plugged! nothing is working

The PSU should not be hot with the PC turned off, assuming we are talking an ATX motherboard and ATX compatible PSU.

Hoot

My system is :

abit kd7 (non raid) (kt400) bios version = b8
athlon xp 2100+
dvd =asus
cd recorder=plextor 24x10x40
hard disk: western digital 7200 80gb
video card= tnt2 ultra 32 mb by creative

and the psu is a chieftec 360W max load.(+5 v,+3.3v =220W) (+12v=204W) (-12v=9.6W)
(+5vsb=10W) (-5v=1.5W).

Is the psu compatible with the motherboard or the other parts?
Another question is: can this psu afford my system?

Thanks for replying me:)

apomak88 said:
My system is :

abit kd7 (non raid) (kt400) bios version = b8
athlon xp 2100+
dvd =asus
cd recorder=plextor 24x10x40
hard disk: western digital 7200 80gb
video card= tnt2 ultra 32 mb by creative

and the psu is a chieftec 360W max load.(+5 v,+3.3v =220W) (+12v=204W) (-12v=9.6W)
(+5vsb=10W) (-5v=1.5W).

Is the psu compatible with the motherboard or the other parts?

Well, you have an ATX motherboard and an ATX PSU so they should be.

Another question is: can this psu afford my system?

If the PSU delivers those rated outputs, it should work. Nothing is for certain except death and taxes."

Thanks for replying me:)

You're welcome. Good Luck and let us know how you fare.

Hoot

The Pcu has a switch at the back of the box .when this switch is on and the pc is off ,the pcu is hot.More over if i push the caps lock botton when im in windows the light of the keyboard is on.When i close the pc by clicking on "the turn off" the pc and the fans stop, but the light of the keyboard continues to light.IF i switch off the pcu then ok are all off.When i switch on the pcu from the botton that is at the back of the pc the 3 lights of the keyboard are lighting for 1 sec and then are all off except the pcu that it is hot after some time

IS this a problem of the motherboard or of the pcu?

I forgot to say that the pcu doesn't have any problem with the output volts.

If someone has a chieftec PCU please reply me! THe warranty of the PCU will be active for 2 weeks more .PLEASE HELP!!!!

Does my PCU have a problem?

It's actually PSU, not PCU!

My (generic) 300watt psu used to get a little warm to the touch when off, but with the switch on, but not 42c.

The switch can normally be left on 24/7 - since all ATX (like your) PSUs provide a little bit of current all the time, to let you turn your computer on.

When your computer is actually running, does the PSU get colder, or does it stay about the same?

Try sending Chieftec an email asking about this problem..

Hope that this helps!
ImG

Thanks for correcting me;) When the pc is on the temperature is a little higher about 44-46c.

Since your warranty will run out soon, call up Chieftec and see what they have to say about it. This isn't normal, so they'd probably RMA it.

The directions for one mobo said that if the BIOS was configured for keyboard power-on, the amp draw in suspend mode would be several times higher, up to 0.7A, which is about 5W (assuming 70% PSU efficiency). I don't know if that's enough to make the PSU reach 42C with the fan off, but you may want to reconfigure the BIOS to disable keyboard power-on to see if it makes things cooler. I don't think it will because I'm testing a PSU in suspend mode right now with 0.85A, and it's stone cold, and the 150W load resistor is barely warm.

larrymoencurly I disabled this option at the bios and now the temperature of the PSU is about 37-38c .Is this normal?

If it's 37-38C even an hour after the computer has been turned off, then I don't think that's normal, but I'm no expert.
I don't know who makes Chieftec PSUs, but I read somewhere that they're Channel Wells (part no. has "CWT" in it, yellow plastic tape on transformer tops says "CWT"), and the PSU I tested was a Channel Well.

If an electrolytic capacitor in your PSU has gone bad, then that could make the transistor or diode connected to it far, far hotter than normal, and I had one on a mobo reach about 100C

Back