• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone own SimCity4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neeseius

How well does it play on your pc?
And how well do you think it will play on mine?
Is it a really good game?
Is it worth buying?
Or do you recommend waiting for C&C Generals?

i have it, when i zoom in/out it lags a little. other then that its smooth game play.

I own it and its fun,way more depth and control then past sim city.The game is very buggy currentyl and prone to crash.
I would wait for generals,Ive been playing the beta and loving it.

File planet has the beta but you need to be a premium member.Also the beta on fileplanet is the nov. beta so the game might be a bit diff from the feb release.

i have it, fun game, but the GRAPHICS ABSOLUTELY SUCK. It's buggy like hell, it crashed 3 times on me already in a week

uhh i dunno watchu's talkin bout :/ It never crashed on me once, I pulled like 2 all niters with it and the graphics rock man. just my opinion though :p

The graphics are very nice but it doesnt seem to like my other systems works fine on my main.

I don't have it but I have been reading up on it quite a bit and apparently it has issues with ATI video cards... ALL of them, even the 9700pro.

The problem with the radeons is that they don't have a back buffer or something along those lines.I turned off the building disappearing option and the game runs fine but I have a over kill system.

Disappearing Buildings When Scrolling
Many cards (including the ATI Radeons) lack support for a backing store, which SimCity 4 utilizes. For those cards, SimCity 4 is forced to disable the rendering of many of the view objects (like buildings) during scroll. This is intentional to ensure responsiveness while scrolling. You can enable the rendering of all objects by editing your "Graphics Rules.sgr" which is found in the Sim City 4 directory installed to your hard drive. With any text editor go into this file and change the following property from true to false:

property noPartialBackingStoreCopies false

Note, however, that doing so can adversely effect scrolling speeds.

doh, funnily enough it crashes on my friends geforce 4 mx just as much. It crashes most often when you just leave it running during a game, i come back 30 minutes later and 50% of the time the game just crashes and i need to restart.

I just purchased it, and yes, it crashes ALL THE TIME!
Everyone 15 minutes.
It crashed at least 30 times the first day!
And check my specs...???
The biggest problem with this game is that people buy it cause they wanna build a large metropolis, in which it takes hours and hours to make, plus it is soooooooo hard!!!!!!
THIS GAME IS HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm mine was crashing a lot too, I thought I had an OC or heat problem so I been running stock speed for testing. Hasn't crashed yet... maybe the game engine is sensitive, sort of like gromacs?

-Rav

The game was crashing non stop on my main comp.Thought it was my over clock so I set every thing down to stock speeds.The game ran fine.So I set every thing back to were I had every thing over clocked and guess what!The game doesnt crash now doesnt make sense to me but what ever.

Humm

I tried it out this week and it sucks. I really disliked it. I played it for a couple days and then uninstalled it.

It is too hard to build your city up. I ran out of cash no matter what I built or what I did. I could not figure out how to maintain cash at all. Tried to get more people to get more taxes and still ran out of money. Too complicated I think.

It never crashed on my system though. I played it for a good 4 hours straight once and never had a crash. *shrug*

Back