• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can A7V333 handle extreme oc'oing without ruining BIOS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tuskenraider

Ok, I posted this thread a couple days ago http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=163630and didn't get much replies. Well , it's two days later with my replacement and now this board did the same thing while upgrading my video card! This new board came with bios 1011 and I upgraded to 1016 as soon as I got it. Overclocked it as my original and after a day of testing things seemed fine.

Get my new Ti4200 today(yeay) and remove old drivers, shut down and put in new card and boot and I get sent into the BIOS like I cleared the CMOS or something(Strange?) so I set everything back as it was, overclocked. Save and reboot and what do I see? "Bios checksum error" and then "INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND HIT ENTER". So I put in a ME boot disk in and it won't boot. I restart and press ALT F2 to get to Asus' bios flashing utility and I get in! So I flash to 1015 which I used previosly without probs and it flashed! Reboot and I get the same checksum error again. Reset CMOS and try the boot disk and it loads up into a text editor but I can't exit it or do and commands, only type letters. Try ALT F2 numerous times again and I can't get into flash utility. Finally after multiple restarts it dies on me, won't power up, but have the power led lit on mobo, just like other board. So I manually set the cpu frequency,voltage jumpers and change the ROMSIP jumper from software to hardware and I get it to power back up but my BIOS still has checksum error. So at this point I come up with these scenarios:

1. Either 1016 bios is fatally flawed. Can you get a BIOS virus?
2. Extreme overclocking my new 2100+ Tbred has somehow corrupted the BIOS even though I never set extremely high voltages, multipliers or fsb(maybe fsb a little, but then again I've seen people in the high 190's with this mobo.) First mobo which I've had since last May ran for two days with this chip and this current one was two days old before crapping out, coincidence? Was running stable at 2350(13.5x174) at 1.750V. XP1800+ before that at 1610(11.5x139) at 1.8V and 1.4 tbird before that 1566(9 x174) at 1.775V.

So now I have another mobo with a trashed BIOS and I certainly do not want to get the same without finding a solution for this problem or have a mobo that can't handle this overclock. Even if I get Asus to give me a new one, looks like I'm gonna have to get the NForce2 board after all, which means more days wasted doing fresh install and learning a new board for overclocking(just don't wanna spend the time right now). All insight is greatly appreciated.

Looks like you got the same setup as me. I stuck with the 1011 bios but haven't unlocked the chip as of yet. Does the 1016 give any benifit? Just curious as to what is the serial number on your samsung ram? I'm debating weather to overclock using my samsung DTL stick. Do you know off hand if a Corsair 3200 stick shows good overclocking with our particular motherboard?

I can tell you that I don't have "original" samsung ram, but it has the TCB3 chips. Doesn't seem to be that great of an overclocker. I can get about 174 fsb out of it with the most aggressive settings at about 2.7V. Hear corsair is excellent of course and will be getting XMS3200 if I get an A7N8X.

Would you suggest getting the XMS3200 with the platiunum heat spreader for use with the A7V333? I'm not sure if I have a revision X mobo tho.

I wouldn't pay the extra $$ for the spreader unless you like the visual appeal. Your rivision will be on the box or you can look between the 3rd and 4th pci slot and it will be on the board.

I've been using the 1016.002 beta bios for over a week now and it seems that I can run at a higher fsb than with either the 1014 or 1015 bios. No problems w/ the 1016 so far.

Back