• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Barton xp3000+ are here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wait for the price drop if it costs around the same price as the p4, usually the high end p4's out perform the high end amd by a very little ammount, so there would be no reason to get the amd ;)

well the amd is 40 dollors cheaper, and in general their chipsets are cheaper, but the amd also lacks HT, which could hurt them

Bah, I wouldn't get your panties in a bunch over HYPE-erthreading.

It does less than you think....

i know it doesnt do much, but its one more feature, and some times it does improve preformance. but if the 3000 does better than the 3.06 , even with HT enabled then its all a mute point

But what I want to know is how can you take advantage of a 64bit CPU? As far as I know most OS's run on 32 bit applications so having a 64 bit CPU wouldn't benefit you. If i'm wrong please let me know as well then I might consider that in the future :)

-=A][A=-cazman said:
But what I want to know is how can you take advantage of a 64bit CPU? As far as I know most OS's run on 32 bit applications so having a 64 bit CPU wouldn't benefit you. If i'm wrong please let me know as well then I might consider that in the future :)

barton is not a 64bit cpu its just a tbred with a larger cache. the "hammer" series are 64bit cpus, but they have not been released yet, i believe the release date is currently set for the end of this year. to answer your question, you would use a 64bit OS, like the one MS is developing...i don't remember the url for info on, but i'm sure you could find it if you searched MS's site.

I want to know how well Barton encodes and OC's.

Ok ok I know P4's are the king of encoding but i don't have the Cash to shell out for a P4 and Mobo at the moment.

If the barton 2500 Oc's it may well be worth the upgrade.

I'm thinking 2700Mhz Oc'd on my Prommy.

Cynical people might think retailers put up a yet unreleased (but very anticipated) product with less than honest claims of stock, specs or pricing, then shortly afterwards remove it, to get their site plastered across loads of tech news sites and forums. :rolleyes: Anyone remember a Swiss retailer's website claiming to be stocking up to 2500+ T-Breds in June 2002, then once their site was all news for this fact, they changed it back down to only stocking up to 2200+?

Cynical people might think review sites do the same with posting reviews before the NDA expires or faked results, then pull them once it's in the news, to get their site plastered across loads of tech news sites and forums and boost traffic and possible ad revenues.

Last edited:
Back