• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit KT7A-RAID WHAT KIND OF RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MJ12

I'm getting ready to go for a T-Bird 1ghz w/abit kt7a raid mobo.
I have a bunch of PC100 ram and I need to know if that will work in this new system.
Also is it possible and/or advisable to run a raid with one hard drive.

Thanks

MJ12 (May 20, 2001 03:43 p.m.):
I'm getting ready to go for a T-Bird 1ghz w/abit kt7a raid mobo.
I have a bunch of PC100 ram and I need to know if that will work in this new system.
Also is it possible and/or advisable to run a raid with one hard drive.

Thanks
You can use pc100 ram but your system will perform better with pc133 ram in it. That way you can run a FSB of 133 or higher. You might be able to push the pc100 ram to 133 though. Raid requires at least 2 hard drives to work so you wont be able to enable any raid functions with only one hard drive.

Yes, some of the better pc100 will hit 133, some even higher-but you gotta get a little lucky. Try it first and then if not just pick up 256megs of pc133. Im not sure but i heard that RAID will work on only 1 HD-but you have to make it into 2 equal size partitions. ex: 1 60 gig partitoned into 2=30 gig partitons-run then in RAID stripe0 and it puts half the info on each partitoin, and then draws from both parts -like the DAP download program does on the net

The idea of striped RAID is so you can access 2 hard drives at once and get twice the performance (in theory!) With it in partitions on one drive you could not get the performance, so there is no point. Mirroring RAID will copy your data and should work.

2 Partitions on one drive is possible to put in a raid stripe-not sure of speed improvements but i said it will work that is all i stated-dont know if its any faster

2 Partitions on one drive is possible to put in a raid stripe-not sure of speed improvements but i said it will work that is all i stated-dont know if its any faster

There seems to be some confusion here regarding the 2 types of RAID being discussed here.
Firstly if you are looking to mirror the drive (using raid 0 if memory serves me right) it will slow the system down (if using 1 drive) as it has only the one set of read/write heads. (should be roughly the same with 2).
so it's fairly obvious if it has to write the same info twice it will take longer (maybe twice maybe not)
as for striping a drive (raid 1 if memory is right again)
the whole idea is to have 2 drives so it can write and recover the info from which ever is closest making it faster.

Back