• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super Pi and Prime95

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

linlibj

Everybody knows that P4 is superb at prime95 because of its SSE2. My P4 2.0a @ 2.4GHz run twice as fast as my athlon xp 1700 (OCed at 147fsb, which is little bit shy of xp 2000).
But when I run Super Pi, my xp 1700 is faster than my p4.
Does anybody know why ?

linlibj said:
Everybody knows that P4 is superb at prime95 because of its SSE2. My P4 2.0a @ 2.4GHz run twice as fast as my athlon xp 1700 (OCed at 147fsb, which is little bit shy of xp 2000).
But when I run Super Pi, my xp 1700 is faster than my p4.
Does anybody know why ?

As the other poster said, if SuperPI isn't using SSE2, then that P4 is going to get manhandled by the AXP. It will probably get manhandled by the P3 Tualatin, too.

NookieN said:
I would assume Super Pi doesn't have SSE2 optimizations, or if it does, they're poorly coded.

Because it was made in 1995 :D It says that it would take a p5 about 3 Days to calculate.

For the most part the Athlon has more raw power the P4,

When the P4 beats the Athlon is when it is new software and it is built around SSE2.

Why do you think AMD tells people to Benchmark on DX7 games?

Back