• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can two HD's fit in a single 5.25" bay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DumpALump

I don't have enough space, and I have one HD already sitting in a 5.25" bay with an adapter. Is there an adapter out there that allows me to fit two HD's into one bay?

Nope, unless you get a laptop hard-drive. And it would still have to be a pretty thin drive (Height of an average drive: 1.5in)

Hmm... maybe its time to bust out the dremel, soldering iron and start hacking up my lian li case to make them fit.

cjlax5 said:
no, it is not physically possible.

Au Contrair!! Maxtor makes a series of slimline HDD's, 2 fit perectly fine, actually what my step-bro is doing, 2 20GB drives.

When I was at comp usa the other day, I saw these 3.5" bay expanders. They were extra pieces of sheet metal that you screwed onto your existing 3.5" bay chassi. It allowed you to ad an additional 2 or 3 3.5" spaces. They were around $10 dollars I think. You should be able to find them elswhere also.
Cheers.

haha i have my 40GB drive standing on it's nose in the bottom of the case... kinda forgot about it when i opened it up today.

The maxtor slimlines are nice, If you got a large raid system with lots of drives stacked together, the slimlines will be spaced apart and allow air to pass between the drives keepin them cool. And 2 of them will fit in a 5-1/4 bay.

Only the slim ones will fit. I made the mistake of buying my maxtors slim. They are nice and small, but run really really hot. At least mine do. Stacking them that close would mean sudden death for my drives. I have 2 fans on them right now. No fans, when you touch them, it actually burns your finger.

Back