• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Linux web browser

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

What's the best web browser to use for linux. I'm currently using Mozilla. I've also heard of Opera but haven't tried it yet. Was wanting to hear your thoughts.

Mozilla is perhaps the most versatile and up-to-date web-browser available for linux.

As you mentioned, Opera is also available; however, I'm not a huge fan. I just find that for some pages it is great. Others, not so great.

Phoenix, a branch off of Mozilla, is a nice small web-browser that's main focus is speed. It adds a few things here and there, but the rendering engine shares a great deal in common with Mozilla. If you like Mozilla you'll like Phoenix.

Galeon. Think of galeon as a gnome version of phoenix. It too is designed with speed and efficiency in mind - whilst sharing the mozilla rendering engine.

I'm sure there are many others. There are quite a few I can think of that aren't even worth mentioning.

Pheonix, I'm using it right now as a full-time replacement for IE and I love it. Mmmmmmmm......tabbed browsing.

Opera Vs Pheonix, i can't decide either. the KDE web browser, konquerer is said to be very good too in KDE 3.1 imroved a lot

one word - Lynx, its the fastest browser out there. Lynx is at least 5x faster then ANY other browser (I bet)... ;)

Seriously, I think the best browser out there right now is mozilla. It has built in pop-up blocking (so does opera) AND it has a way to easly block ads.

I've tryed using the older KDE browsers, but they were slow though that has probably changed by now. Galeon was OK, but the version I used didnt support much in the way of HTML tags (not even all the standard ones) that, too has probably also changed.

I'm all for open-source, but I use Opera for most everything. The two big things that keep me using it are the ability to restore all my tabs after an interruption, and the finely honed mouse gestures. I tried Mozilla's radial menu plug-in (kinda the same thing and very useful), but Opera just seems more polished.
This is another good reason.

Well, I was using Mozilla under Linux for a while. Just installed Phoenix and am using that, it is pretty cool, a stripped down Mozilla with some of its own features. Opera 7 for Windows is the best browser ever created, but they only have Opera 6.11 for Linux and it is kinda lacking in features in my opinion. If they release Opera 7 for Linux, that would change things.

I've been changing browsers a lot lately. They are all good. The only browser I don't like is IE :mad: Fortunately we don't have that problem in Linux :p

I'm currently using mozilla in linux. The main thing I look for in a web browser now is tabbed browsing. Having multiple browser windows annoys me.

Galeon is also nice, but I don't really care for Konqueor.

Back