• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reccomend me the best virus checker.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seal

Hi guys im looking for a simple yet effective virus checker/stoper. More specifically however im looking for one that takes as little system resourses as possible. Bear in mind i dont need a totally foolproof virus checker as im not dumb enough to open suspicoious email attachments named virus.exe etc... (lol) just want a 1/2 decent one that does the job and is able to download updates etc...

THanks
Seal

Yeah im looking for one that wont slow programs down too because i understand some scan files when you open them like word files and stuff and i hear it takes a load of time to load the file because of it.

*edit

What do people think of McAffe?

McAffee hasnt got the best rep. Norton does hog system resources and slow your computer down especially when scanning. AVG hasnt picked up on viruses as easily as Norton has but it does work.

AVG has 0 negative effect on system performance.

I give a Norton for Norton, but I only use it and McAfee. I'd say it has the best protection. You can turn off certain features that may take up resources.

Numbstruck said:
i heard panda antivirus is good but i havent used it

anyone else heard of it?

Yeah I heard of it...I actually liked the trial version, and their claims are great. They even won in a PCWorld (?) review 2 years in a row vs. McAfee and Norton...

The interface is less hoggish than Norton 2002 I know that...

Still I've yet to purchase a home copy. And the trial might have been for the corp. edition as we were looking for an alternative to norton corp ed....

Mike

Norton 2k3 Pro ain't bad. It has a few 'features' that I had to turn off 'cause I didn't like them (Norton Protected Recycle Bin. I'm sorry, but when I delete something, I expect it to STAY deleted!), but other than that it works great.

Back