• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1090T OC question/I DID 4ghz post (dont worry, its stable)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kainhall

so.... my first real overclock on my first real CPU cooler... and what a ride.
i started with a goal of 4ghz on my 1090T.... wich ended up being at least 4ghz, 2800 cpu/nb, and under 1.5vcore and 1.45 cpu/nb.....wich i have done

system specs, cuz lol.
msi 990fxa-gd80
1090t
- vcore in bois 1.388 (windows is slightly higher, 4 hours into prime95, cant stop to look. load is 4.88/4.96.... and it just pisses me off.... why is it higher?)
- cpu nb freq @2800, 1.36V
-ht 2000mhz, 1.22V cuz a slight bump dosnt hurt
- nh-d15 cooler, temps not over 45C 6 hours into prime
16gigs muskin ram at 8-8-8-24 1.55V
msi 6970 lightning

basically.... did i do anything wrong? my volts are a tad to high for 24/7 (and i use this PC 24/7) but my temps are so good i figured im not going to degrade it that fast.... and if i do, meh... time to get a new mobo and AMD cpu.(would still like input if too high) hopefully the new cores set to come out 2015/2016 are decent....the dude who did all the socket 939 chips is back, and making a enthusiast x86 chip!!!

from looking around, ive gotten a decent OC, and great temps. and my sensor is spot on... +3cish over ambient at stock with nh-d15.

any way i could get more out of her? the mobo ramping up the vcore under load is dumb as hell..... first off, i tell you to run at 1.388 in the bios, stable at 4ghz or not.... your sposed to Vreg with your Vregs to 1.388V. this Vcore is looked at in cpu-z and MSI control center. in bios its still higher, but not as high as when under prime

then i offset for vdroop old school style....... why does it do this? P states?
i have c1e, coolnquite, APS power phase, ETC all set disabled.

i hear some 990fx boards have a LLC setting.... mine does not. MSI 990fxa-gd80 is a great mobo for stock stuff.... but idk about OC

the cpu wont work right one setting under 1.388 in bois, even at 4ghz. however, i know, that with a smaller jump in settings, and a MoBo that actually held its voltage, i could drop my vcore .05 maybe even .1V

also, what about raising the HT link speed? i hear thubuns like it bumped, then i hear it lowers performance.... im 4ghz stable at 2800cpu/nb and 2000ht. the fastest i can go on this mobo is 2600 mhz ht link. the cpu/nb link also got buggy under prime at 3ghz, and i attest this to this mobo.

ive learned that my chip does not like 4.2ghz even at 1.55volts (still had great temps) however, i also had a LOT of other issues i had to sort that were also causing problems, but the error codes (1e) made me thing i needed a vcore bump that i wasn't willing to make. it probably would hit 4.5ghz, but not be 24/7 OK

just to reiterate, are my voltages OK for 24/7 at thows temps?
is that a good oc?, or am i a noob and totally have everything set wrong:facepalm:
why is my mobo upping the volts? seriously, why. about to email MSI asking for a BIOS with LLC and ofset
what about c1e and cool and quite.... i would REALLY REALLY like to enable this so i get lower temps, and lower volts, thus, longer life. i hear a program called phenom rtss or something like that allows you to set custom voltages at p0/1/2/3/4 states. i want my .5V at 800mhz!!!

but im mem test and prime stable at 4ghz/2800mhz with decent ram timings (might try to get 7-7-7-24 or lower its muskin redline after all)

EDIT. i just physically touched my NB and Vreg heat sinks.... they both are hot as hell. hopefully they dont make me fail prime/fry my stuff....... my 120mm rear fan died just before i got my nh-d15, but i do have a 200mm top right above the CPU sink. ill just tip a computer duster can upside down for poor mans LN2 vreg cooling.
again, i call into question just how good MSI mobos are. i thought they were basically all the same, with only minor differences in BIOS between any high end 990fx, but ive seen reports of MSI saying that their boards like the 990fxgd65 cant support +95W cpus and that this mobo cant do over 125W......so no FX-9xxx chips (wich are CRAZY to run at 5ghz and at that Vcore)

Last edited:
On some motherboards the LLC is built in even though it does not show up as a setting in bios. Don't obsess over this. Apparently, the extra voltage added by the hidden LLC is necessary for you to be stable under load as it seems you have already found the lowest base voltage in bios that you need to remain stable. If that is the case, you could remove the hidden LLC you would no longer be stable. Regardless of how you get there, with LLC or no LLC, it's the minimum voltage necessary to be stable that counts.

And actually, the way your board is set up is the best of both worlds since when you are not under load you are running on less vcore. If you could take away the LLC you would just have to jack up the base vcore in bios to be stable under load.

Looks like you used only the multiplier to overclock since you HT Reference is at stock 200 mhz. We find that typically, involving the HT Reference in the overclock allows you to be stable at lower voltages. But it is a more complicated method as you have to manipulate other things as well such as RAM frequency, HT Link frequency and CPU/NB frequency since these are synced with the HT Reference (what we used to call the FSB).

Cool N Quiet and C1E can cause instability in higher overclock ranges when not disabled. Turbo should also be disabled and APM as well.

You seem to have a good piece of silicon there.

Last edited:
kainhall said:
- vcore in bois 1.388 (windows is slightly higher, 4 hours into prime95, cant stop to look. load is 4.88/4.96.... and it just pisses me off.... why is it higher?)
What voltage is showing as 4.88/4.96? I cannot think of any voltage other than the +5V from power supply that would be that high?
RGone...

I was guessing he meant 1.488-1.496?

Maybe, but surely would be nice to know for sure. I have to correct my typos before I post and yes there are some. And I have editted a post days or weeks later for clarity. This is because I know these threads tend to live on forever.
RGone...

That's a good overclock. Everything dialed in. You have decent voltages there. I would say you might be able to lower your CPU/NB voltage a little -- try 1.40 but really it should ok as is.

The other thing you could try is bumping up your CPU/NB to 3000mhz. It will help improve your memory subsystem throughput and L3 cache performance. With the way your voltages look now, should just be a matter of bumping that multiplier up one more notch. But be prepared to do further tweaking as needed.

Those hexacore chips are a favorite overclock of mine.. And quick as hell especially with the CPU-NB up that high.

3ghz it does not like...
and ya, i ment 1.488 not 4.88. lol.

im happy at the OC i have now really... just wish i could drop voltages a bit more.

it also seems prime 95 made my computer crash and reset.
need to turn off auto reboot so i can get the error code, but the way things have been.... it probably suddenly went black screen after a brief screen of strange colored lines....i attest this to slightly low V core. it ran for 4 to 6 hours however.... if i dont crash in games, ill consider it stable for my needs. still worries me on how it goes down.... like i said, looks like the CPU just drops out, boom, strange screen, boom black screen and rebooting http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo8/ikalito/IMG-20111201-00104.jpg that pic is actually 100% the same thing.

id sure like an option to disable LLC.... id rather find a good voltage after droop, then use that cool and quite modifier program to get stable P states. forget what the program is called. phenom rtss?

and im also severely dyslectic.... word soup, all that..... as long as you understood what i ment, i let spelling slide

prime is a relatively aggressive torture test, plus your thuban is near the OC limit on air.

I'm not familiar with that board. but I'd see if you can set a custom P-state that will lock in your core voltage.

Back