• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lapping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff7477

Has anyone ever Lapped the die of their CPU? I read some article on doing it on a Intel, and was wondering if it would apply to an AMD. I notice when I take my HS off the paste isn't evenly applied, like there are some highspots. This could be my heatsink of course, but im just wondering.

I don't think it would be a good idea to lap your AMD chip. The reason that you can do it on an Intel is that they have a heat spreader that is a metal cap over the chip. Your AMD chip just has the bare processer core exposed above the processer package. If you start sanding into it to make it smoother you will most likley destroy the chip.
If you are seeing high spots it is probley from your HS, because the silicon chip will be very flat in it's self.

some people did lap coppermines.
It is HIGHLY NOT RECOMENDED to lap a core.

if you are not a highly skilled lapping veteran, dont even think about it as that is the easiest way to kill a core...

But yes it can be done and yes it can work. 2-3C lower temps for a REALLY GOOD chance at KILLING your CPU.

http://www.froggy.com.au/frogge/pepper/lap/lapreport1.html

Jeff7477 said:
anyone know how think the top of the core is?

Not sure how thick processer wafers are but most Semiconductor fabs will use 20-30mil thick wafers for srength through the process(thick wafer less breakage) then at the final step before seperating the wafer into individal chips the wafer is ground down to 10-15 mil thick. These fabs that use thick wafers apply all of yhe electrial layers to 1 side of the wafer(doing the processes on 1 side results in a bigger die overall) . At the fab I work for we use both sides of the wafer so we have to start with a thinner wafer (6.5-12mil thick) as a result we trade smaller packaging for more breakage.

As for how thick, well you are seeing the back side of the wafer so the processer is embedded in the package but my guess is between 5-10mil.

try reading the data sheet for the CPU you want to lap, the data sheet will tell you

I wouldn't lap an AMD chip, unless of course you have a spare one. :D If it could be done safely though, I would defonately recomend it. I lapped my p4 willamette a few days ago, after reading that article at overclockers.com, and it dropped my max load temp. (running prime 95 for two hours) from 48C to 43C.:)

I'm not really sure that lapping an AMD chip would yield the same results, however, since the heatsink is already resting right on the core, not a heatspreader. That said, it would still be interesting to see the results of a lapped AMD chip, although I think one would be hard pressed to find some.

Last edited:
I might get some 2000 or so grit wet/dry sand paper and give it a go on this Pally since I have a Tbred B coming in soon. I noticed on my retail heatsink that on the bottom I can actually see the Print from the top of the Die, i.e. it said AMD backwards.

Back