• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will a LCD work on a Matrox G400?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

as i have never used any monitor with a DVI port, i would not know the answer. My dad has a Matrox G400 vid card on his computer and wants me to get him a LCD monitor to save desk room. I know all LCD monitors are DVI port, however, the G400 does not have any DVI ports only 2 VGA ports. I have a VGA-DVI adapter that came with a GF4 i had..... could i use this on the LCD screen or would i need to get him a nnew vidcard to get it to work?

Not all LCD have DVI connectors..only the more expensive ones have HD15/DVI connectors..You should be able to use your Matrox400 with no problem..

i am sorry i mispoke i have a G450 but it does not have a DVI out port only a two standard blue vga ports.... will it work or no?

It will most likely work. As long as the LCD supports analog connections.

Something worthy of note: LCD displays benefit greatly from DVI connections.

Emericana said:
i am sorry i mispoke i have a G450 but it does not have a DVI out port only a two standard blue vga ports.... will it work or no?

Won't work. If the monitor has DVI-in only it's mostly likely DVI-D. There's no hardware circuitry to convert Analogue to Digital signal on the videocard even if an adaptor was made.

Not to mention the A->D conversion would seriously affect image quality.

It all depends on what video OUT options your video card has and what INPUT the monitor uses, DVI connectors are most common with LCD.

Emericana said:
as i have never used any monitor with a DVI port, i would not know the answer. My dad has a Matrox G400 vid card on his computer and wants me to get him a LCD monitor to save desk room. I know all LCD monitors are DVI port, however, the G400 does not have any DVI ports only 2 VGA ports. I have a VGA-DVI adapter that came with a GF4 i had..... could i use this on the LCD screen or would i need to get him a nnew vidcard to get it to work?

Yeah it would work fine. My recommendation is to go the nearest Wal-Mart and pick up one of their KDS flat panels, both have your standard vga connector.
The 15' is like $278.88
The 17' is like $388.88

I have one of the 17's its great even comes with speaker... not the greatest, but if you are looking for desk saving space something to think about.
Also my brother has the 15' also a pretty decent flat panel.

Back